Chapter 2

There was an eeriness in her room. Lan had shut the windows to keep the curtains from flying, but she still refused to let her guard down. In her hands was the Brooks Knife, blade facing up. The clock ticked every minute, every second that passed by, the lost time that could have been used to save Taylor. 

However, not even Lan could last that long without sleep. She tossed and turned, the Brooks Knife falling from her face, down to her sides. The clock struck midnight, and the burning sensation was back. The embedded wings in her wrists starting to glow, bright blue, before it turned pure white.

“Taylor.” That was all Lan spoke, before her conscious was submerged in her dreams.

Taylor was dressed in all white. Lan’s chest hurt, her heart beating faster than never before. His grey eyes sparkling in the light, he took her hand, taking her for a round. Lan was dressed in a pink ball gown that fell to the ground. She subconsciously touched the material. It was soft, just like Taylor’s blonde hair that tickled her cheek as he brought her near.

There was the shuffling of feet there and then. Lan felt Taylor’s warmth as he held her near. They were still moving, slower now, but still moving. Taylor’s lips turned colour, from a ghostly pale to a healthy red, as Lan smiled. She could feel her sides of her lips crinkling, her arms wrapping around Taylor’s back, as she moved up, her lips colliding with his.

It was mere seconds before slashing happened. Sprays of scarlet shook the ground, staining it, as Lan’s instincts kicked in. All she could do was to scream, and scream, and scream…

She woke up in the end, breaths unsteady. There was other presence in the room, her wings had stopped glowing, and the charm strung on her neck was heating up. It had never heated like this before. She grabbed the Brooks Knife, even tighter than before, and braced herself for the worst.

The thing lunged at her. Lan’s yelp escalated into a yell, a shout of terror, as she slashed the thing viciously, showing no mercy. Pushing her hair back, she cut it, but the thing was too strong. It kicked her knife away, as it clanged on the wooden floorboards. The thing advanced quickly; It moved, covering her mouth, as it revealed a dagger, advancing it towards her wrists… 

As the dagger barely touched it, the wings glowed brightly, blinding both the thing and Lan momentarily. The thing jumped back, and in the moonlight, Lan could fully see it; scaly body, white eyes, even to the iris, but that hair was so familiar. That blonde head that swept to that thing’s shoulders, it was so… familiar.

“Pur ange, votre race est maudite. vous-” That thing said in a foreign language that Lan couldn’t understand. She was torn between the thoughts of that being a threat or swearing under that thing’s breath.

However, a masculine voice broke the silence and there was a swift hand action. Lan’s eyes caught sight of a knife, spinning swiftly in the air, and embedding itself in the thing’s chest. The thing’s body was stained with its own blood, but it wasn’t scarlet red, it was bleeding black, like a thick tar, the material that was used to make roads.

“Are you okay?” The boy asked, as the thing collapsed onto the ground. Lan couldn’t fully contain her emotions. Tears were streaming down her cheeks, as the thing changed. It changed to its human form. 

“Gabriel. She’s dead.” Grief overwhelmed Lan.

“She was a hunter. You have to be safe. Hunters. They’re coming for our race. I heard her. She said in French ‘Pure Angel, your race is cursed’. She was about to say more, before she saw me.” 

“Pardon?” It sounded harsh, unlike Lan’s usual sweet voice. 

He quickly corrected himself though. “Oh sorry, I meant your race.”