Chapter 2

Hazel stepped out in crisp morning air and pulled on her boots. The landscape was covered in frost, reflecting the colors of the picturesque sunrise. Small burst of clouds escaped her lips as she started her short walk. She found herself glancing to the left towards Mark's house. She shook her head and focused on the chores ahead.

Chores and tasks kept her mind from straying to Mark. It also kept her from dwelling on not knowing where her family was or the restless nights beforehand. Today was different. She had a full night's sleep and felt invigorated. Soft neighing on the other side of the barn pulled her away from her mental checklist. She grinned as she approached Gunnar. The stocky brown horse was eagerly waiting at the door for his morning oats.

"I know, Big Guy. You must be starving," said Hazel as she rolled her eyes looking at the free access hay where he could eat to his heart's desire.

She shook her head and picked up a pan, filling it with his morning snack. Gunnar smacked his lips and waited patiently. Hazel laughed as she put the pan down in front of him and watched him enjoy his first bites before starting the chores that needed to be done. As she cleaned his water bucket, her mind drifted again to Mark. His words last night still shook her. The despair in his eyes struck her deeply with guilt. But, at the same time, she knew she didn't have anything to be apologetic for.

The clash of emotions is what has been exhausting her more than anything these past few weeks. With better rest, she felt she could at least comb through some of these things and feel back to normal. Or, at least the new normal she was faced with. The new normal was living in Mrs. Müller's house and keeping as busy as possible without anyone seeing her. That wasn't a hard feat with this being German countryside with acres of pastures. Mark's house was the only one within view of Mrs. Müller's home. But, she was always wary if he had visitors from the Regime.

Mrs. Müller never had company. It was sad the older woman never seemed to keep to herself but this worked out in Hazel's favor. A fact that Mrs. Müller didn't hesitate to point out to Hazel the first night she arrived. Hazel had politely declined staying in one of the bedrooms offering to keep herself in the cellar, but Mrs. Müller wouldn't have it.

"You need a room. Not a cellar that collects dust!"

Hazel almost overfilled the bucket with water she was so deep in her thoughts. She shut the hose off and found Gunnar was staring at her intently. She opened the barn and called him out to the pasture. He walked out past her and happily trotted around. She giggled under her breath thinking he looked like a train with the billowing of vapor escaping his nostrils as he made his way around the frozen grounds. She went back to her chores as he enjoyed his time running around the pasture.

As she worked diligently around the barn, the thoughts of Mark faded. This was the biggest reason why she loved staying at Mrs. Muller's. There was always something to do to keep her busy. As time flew by, she found herself shedding all the layers she put on earlier in the day. Stripping down to the thin long sleeved shirt underneath, she stepped back outside to check on Gunnar. He was grazing on the dry grass that was now melting just outside the barn. She approached him and started stroking his neck, feeling how warm he was under the thick black mane. He lifted his head and started licking her hand looking for more oats or salt she presumed.

Hazel kept her hand outstretched for him, laughing softly as he started searching for any treats that may be hiding in her pockets. Her smile slowly faded as she felt the pricking sensation that someone watching her. She looked past Gunnar to see Mark in the distance. His blonde hair glowed under the sun. He was faced towards their direction as he stood by his car in his driveway. She felt her cheeks grow hot and hid herself behind Gunnar. She had never been so happy over the horse's stocky build until now.

Hazel continued to keep herself busy with Gunnar, all the while hiding from Mark. She didn't know how long she stood by Gunnar's shoulder patting him and picking out the small burrs from him rolling out in the pasture. She eventually turned towards the barn and swiftly walked inside even though her legs wanted to stay rooted to the spot. She turned into one of the stalls and peeked through the cracked wood. Mark was still standing there. His hands were stuffed in his pockets and his head was slightly tilted back. It looked as if he was sunbathing.

Hazel leaned against the wood fighting the urge to run to Mark. She pressed her hand against the smooth wood wishing she could comb her fingers through his windblown hair. She yearned for the Mark she grew to love. But, feared the Nazi he was. It was as if a mantra in her head trying to remind herself he was just impersonating that heartless monster he was to her that day. But, it seemed so real. Too real.

The bruise on her thigh with him holding her down with his boot was just now starting to fade. Her scalp hurt for days being dragged by her hair. The scrapes and cuts on her knees, hands, and everywhere her body touched the ground were still healing. She may have lived but she didn't escape unscathed. The rollercoaster of emotions and harsh memories were proof of that. She felt broken and didn't know how to put the pieces back together.

As Hazel felt her breath quicken with panic and her eyes prickle with tears, she grabbed her chest trying to hold herself together. It was no use. The tears spilled out and flowed down her cheeks. She felt her chest heave as she became overwhelmed thinking of all her worries. Her family, the concentration camp, the war, and all her decisions that led her here.

Mark was the reason why she was here. And, she loved and feared Mark more than she could put in words. If only she could talk to Gertrude. If only she could be held by her mother. The hope she once held was gone. All that was left was her feeling alone and lost in the world.