13. In the Dark

Depuis le début

"Ryder!" I yelled, but he didn't seem to want to listen.

"Relax Carter and enjoy the ride," he said, still smirking at my startled expression.

I gave up on trying to get Ryder to listen to me and settled comfortably in my seat. I soon forgot about the many traffic laws Ryder was breaking and let the thrill and vigour I was experiencing from his driving wash over me.

I let out a laugh as he increased his speed and even though Ryder was a danger to me himself, I forgot all about that and felt safe in his presence.

It was just us and the current high we were both on that kept us going. Nothing else mattered anymore. It was reckless and stupid, but we didn't care. The danger and the exhilaration was all worth it in the end.

Once we had reached the warehouse, I thought the feeling would fade but it didn't. As we got out of Ryder's car we glanced at each other and smiled widely, grateful for the escape.

The electronic music blasting from somewhere in the warehouse added to our adrenaline rush and I felt him intertwine his fingers through mine, dragging me through the crowd that filled up the warehouse.

I ignored the feeling of our hands clasped together, making my heart speed up more than the sudden adrenaline rush.

"Stay close!" Ryder yelled at me.

I nodded at him and allowed him to continue pulling me along with him to wherever he was going.

He nodded at the bodyguard guarding the entrance to the fighter's rooms and he stepped aside to let us through.

Only when we had made it to Ryder's room, did Ryder let go of my hand. Ryder's room resembled mine, except his looked more lived in than mine.

There were broken bits of wood littering the ground and a worn out leather punching bag hung from the roof.

A tiny bulb hung from a piece of wire above his desk and when Ryder flipped on the light switch it shone dimly in the tiny room.

"Why does your room have a light bulb and mine doesn't?" I asked.

"Did you ask for a light?" Ryder asked, turning to give me a pointed look.

I pouted and sat down on the wooden chair by his desk.

Ryder unzipped a bag lying under his desk and pulled out a roll of cloth and a pair of scissors. He cut off two long pieces and began wrapping them around his knuckles.

"Ryder, you're not wrapping your hand right. You're going to damage your knuckles. Let me do it," I said, already walking up to him.

"You're supposed to wrap it like this," I said quietly.

I gently took Ryder's hand in mine and began to wrap his knuckles and all around his wrist. He watched me carefully as I did the same thing to his other hand.

He flexed his fingers once I had finished and admired my work.

"Thanks," he said.

I didn't realize how close we were standing until Ryder spoke. I took a deep breath, and scolded myself for letting him having such a strong effect on me by just saying one word.