Ch 14 - Blasphemy

Start from the beginning

Once she sat down, the front door of the suite opened

Once she sat down, the front door of the suite opened. Timothy and Emily looked to see it was Ashley, her kinky black curls wildly hanging over a rather plain outfit, like most of the subjects in Regnum Infernale were clad in. It consisted of a black dolman sweater tucked into a pair of navy-blue pants that resembled slacks. Her shoes were simple, shin-length lace up boots. One could easily see she was wearing black wool socks because there was a gap between the hem of the pants and the top of the boots on the leg.

"It's about time you join us," Emily said. "Are you hungry? I just made some pea soup."

Ashley shook her head: "I'm not that hungry. I need to sleep."

"We'll save you some," Timothy added. "Oh, and be quiet if you can. The baby is sleeping."

As she walked away, she muttered under her breath: "of course, she is."

Walking to the room she shared with her three siblings, she went on her bed and laid back, keeping her boots off the side edge. She took in a deep breath and looked up at the ceiling, trying to find some tranquility. Then, she heard her human baby sister cooing and babbling; she turned her head briskly to her side before getting up off the bed and walking over toward the crib in which Katherine laid, her big dark eyes smiling obliviously up at the ceiling and then at Ashley. She gazed down at her with envy, saying contemptuous words.

"You get to age normally. I don't," she said quietly, annoyed by the baby's unmindful chatter. "I'm supposed to be closer to Rachel's age. A five-year-old... give me a break... in what universe?"

Suddenly, she felt her vision begin to throb, as if a really strong heartbeat was making it do so. Looking down at Katherine's wiggling little body, she could see her torso vibrating through her yellow onesie. Ashley could feel saliva generating behind her lips, and she ran her tongue over the outside of her teeth as if her baby sister was stimulating an appetite she otherwise did not have for her mother's bland pea soup. Her stomach growled like a ferocious lion, feeling hungrier as she began to sense little Katherine's heartbeat without a hand on her.

Why am I suddenly so hungry, she thought to herself as she picked the baby up instinctively from the crib.

The baby started to cry, which drew Emily and Timothy's attention from the dining area near the kitchen. They looked at each other with wide eyes, thinking the exact same thing – Ashley had woken Katherine up. Emily calmly instructed Rachel and Devan to stay seated and continue eating while they went to investigate why she was crying so much. The crying stopped as soon as they got up, but that did not stop them from going into their children's shared bedroom, opening the door to a horrifying sight. Emily's dark skin blanched, while Timothy's white skin got even whiter when they saw Ashley's mouth and shirt covered in fresh blood. There was a bloody folding knife laying on the rug, also soaked with blood and what looked to be fabric and human tissue. Timothy nearly threw up at what he saw her doing – Katherine's little heart had been missing from her open chest cavity, and she was feasting on what looked to be a larger organ, perhaps her liver. Ashley kept feasting until she looked up at her parents in a daze. Tears grew in her eyes when she realized what she'd done – the baby was dead. She had a hankering for her organs to eat.