Chapter 11

I awoke early the next morning. I wanted to take Christine out to breakfast. But how? As I thought about this I roamed about the opera house. Why, I don't quite know. Eventually I found myself in the costume department. Ah! That's how! I dug through the costumes and found an old looking dress that was Christine's size. I found a shirt and trousers that matched. As I was leaving a cape caught my I eye. I took it with me and ran back through the tunnels to my little home. As I put the clothes in my room I was singing to myself. I walked to the front room and heard shuffling from Christine's room. I left her to wake up and continued to sing to myself with my back towards her room. The next thing I knew her arms were wrapped around my waist, her head on my shoulder.

"Good morning my Angel of Music."

Her voice was sleepy and low.

"Good morning my Christine, did you sleep well?

I always do when you sing me to sleep Erik. And again I'm sorry last night."

I turned around and looked into her soft eyes as I tucked my fingers under her chin.

"It was nothing my love.

Are you su-"

I silenced her with a kiss. As I kissed her she melted into me. A moment this perfect seemed so surreal. It seemed as if it was a dream. She smiled against my lips and I held her tight. I pulled away from the kiss and took her hands gently in mine.

"Christine, I was waiting for you to wake up.I was going to go out and buy breakfast. And I figured out a way for you to come with me.

Oh, really how is that? And you know we need to go someplace Raoul will never go Erik.

You'll see. And where I had in mind is someplace he wouldn't dream you'd ever go. Wait here I'll only be a moment."

She gave me a gentle smile and squeezed my hand before I went to my room to get the costume. I collected the dress I had found and my cloak. After I gathered them neatly I returned and saw her patiently waiting. She smiled and ran over to me. I grinned back at her as she fingered the dress, feeling it's fine material.

"Erik, this is genius! How did you think of it?

Well I had the idea of us going out to breakfast, but I had to think of how. As I wandered the chambers of the opera house I found myself in the costume department. I found this in your size. This, and my cloak will disguise you perfectly!

But Erik, what will you wear? Don't you usually wear your cloak?

I found another one for myself where the costumes lie. Besides I thought you'd want to wear mine. It holds my scent."

I smiled and my face went flush. I was a bit embarrassed. She took the dress and cloak from me. As she did she kissed me cheek and my face grew redder.

"You're so thoughtful my love. Shall I change?

Y-yes. I I'll change as well."

I glided to my room and went to change. The clothes were an ugly grey color. They looked dirty and worn. I threw on the cloak and walked back to the front room. A moment later Christine appeared dressed in the rags. I smiled at her. She looked ravishing, as always.

"Ah, my Christine even in rags you have the look of an angel."

She blushed furiously.

"Why thank you Erik."

I took her fragile hand in mine and smiled at her.

"Erik love, you still haven't told me where we'll be going for breakfast.

You will see Christine. It's a wonderful place."

She smiled and took my word for it.