Friday Night Lights

Start from the beginning

I shake my head quickly, "No. Hell no. I'm just watching the game." 

"Yeah because the game is on the sidelines with the number eleven," She laughs. "I think you two would make a pretty couple."

I roll my eyes, "Not in a million years could I date that prick." 

"What if I told you him and Ashton broke up." 

Nothing. 

But if that sentence included the names Jake and Olivia it'd be a completely different story. My heart would skip a beat, I'd get my hopes up of the possibility of there ever being an us between the two of us only for it to be crushed. 

"Cassie you need to get over this hopeless crush you have on Jake," Payton says. I shush her. "Please. It's not like the entire school knows you like him. You're not exactly an expert at hiding it." 

I glare at her before getting up. 

"Don't leave I didn't mean to upset you. It's just you've liked him this long do you really think you have a chance with him?" 

"I'll see you at school Monday." With that I walked back down the bleachers. I pulled out my cell phone to call Jake, the game was nearly over and he hadn't come found me yet. All I wanted was to go home. 

The phone rings a few times before he picks up. 

"I'm a little busy at the moment," He mumbles clearly aggrivated someone called. 

"Jake where are you? I want to go home." 

A moan escapes his lips and I'm horrified. 

"Are you with a girl?" I exclaim nearly dropping my phone. Several people glance at me as I make my way through the mass. 

"Hold on a sec Macy," My heart drops. "Sorry Cass I meant to text you to catch a ride with Payton. I bailed before the second quarter."

"Whatever Jake. I'll see you later," I slam my phone closed. Yes I still own an ancient flip phone that probably belongs in a museum. 

I walked over to the concessions stand buying a water. I'm going to need this for the walk I'm about to take home. The buzzer goes off signaling the end of the game. We won maintaining our undefeated record. I bet the players are having a great night, most of them probably going to a party to bang a girl as well. Those boys disgust me. But then again one of them is my best friend who I'm in love with, minus the football player aspect. 

My thin jacket is no match for the relentless fall wind. Strands of my curly blonde hair whip around and I tuck my hands under my arms trying to obtain any form of heat. My feet ache as I'm now half way home but still a far way to go. I've passed the main party house with the music blaring and red solo cups strewn across the lawn. A car hasn't passed for a while so when lights create a large shadow in front me I'm shocked. The car stops. 

"Need a ride Cassie," Garrett pops his head out the window of his car. 

I glance over before continuing to walk. 

"Hey! Just because bad boy hates me doesn't mean you have to as well." 

"Yes it does," I mumble. Garrett sighs and kills the engine of his car. I hear his car door open and close followed by footsteps. 

"Please let me give you lift," Garrett grabs my shoulder. I jump away like he's the bubonic plague and I'll become infected the instant he touches me. 

"I'm fine walking okay," I yell. "Just leave me alone." 

The beeping sound of his car locking makes me jump again. 

"Then I'm walking you home." 

I stop my eyes closed as I take a deep breath. "Do you not get it? I don't want to talk to you. Hell I don't even want to associate with you Garrett." 

"Cassie tell me what I ever did to you." 

"She was the sister I never had dammit," I screamed shivering. If I wasn't home soon I'll surely end up with a cold. With homecoming fast approaching that's the last thing I need. 

Garrett strips himself of his red varsity jacket leaving him in a simple white v-neck. He drapes it over my shoulders. "What if I told you I was trying to make things right? Jake's not the only one who misses her." 

I blink back the tears remembering the reason why this hatred even began. 

"Nothing you say could ever bring her back Garrett."

He bends over picking up a rock and tossing it several feet in front of us. "I'll carry the guilt forever don't you think that's punishment enough?" 

Who am I to decide what is enough? 

"I want to make it right Cassie. I truly do," The look in his golden eyes was genuine in that moment. I lost my ability to breathe for a moment. 

My eyes flick back to his car, "Is that ride offer still available?"