Chapter 22: Longing Hearts

"This is crazy. He wants us to help him find her like he thinks we're on his side?" Noctis uttered in disbelief after the astral vanished into thin air. "He's definitely messing with us. No, he didn't even bother to free us from this stupid maze!"

"There's only one thing we can do," Luna told the raven intently. Even at this moment, the Oracle had always been able to keep herself calm, acting with restraint.

"What?"

"We need to track down Ardyn."

"Like he'll actually show up," he shook his head in disagreement. "Luna, even if he'd show up right now, I'm sure he's already made a plan to lure us into his trap, and I'm not risking it."

"What more if we don't? We're losing time." Despite her golden brows furrowed, there were still no creases that could be seen on her forehead as if the presence of immortality was within her; a side effect of being bestowed as an oracle. Luna made her way through the cold, narrow walls that gave Noctis no choice but to follow her.

Trailing behind, he suddenly felt like it had been years, stuck in this life-taking maze. There were three things circling inside his mind that was still making him worry.

One, because he was sucked into the labyrinth, he had no idea what was happening back in his own kingdom. It made him anxious so much; Insomnia's very own king had disappeared under unknown circumstances—but what they didn't know was that he's here, summoned by a disturbing, unfamiliar imaginary space.

Two, he worried of what he and Luna might face here. He didn't know if they had gotten out of the labyrinth's heart, or worse, they were completely lost in the maze. The feeling utterly undermined him that he admired Lunafreya for her daring bravery.

And lastly, his mind never ceased thinking how you are doing. He kept on picturing that beautiful smile crept up your face whenever you laugh, (e/c) eyes lifting into crescents, bright teeth sparkling under the moonlight. He couldn't stop wondering when would he be able to see you.

Sadly, he knew it was never going to happen that easily. Because as far as he knew, you and your team were looking for Luna, but what he also didn't know was that you and your crew were also in the same place where he and Luna were.

I miss you, (Y/N). he thought, his lips falling to a tiny frown. He felt his heart aching, longing for that caring and calming voice, that familiar scent whenever he sneaked through the secret passage leading to your room at night . . . and those soft, addicting lips that always almost made him want to not let go. He longed for that feeling whenever you wrap your arms around him to a comforting embrace that he wanted to stop time so he could stay like that with you forever.

He missed it. All of it.

Why did I have to let you leave for that quest? Regret somehow started to pile inside him, bit by bit, yet eventually its alternative thought had always come to put those doubts away. But I didn't want to make it feel like I'm forcing you. I don't want that.

"Noctis." Luna's voice snapped him back to reality.

Noctis somewhat wished he would never come back to reality anymore and drown in his thoughts, his dreams and fantasies that only involved he and you, a world where it were only the two of you. But then he knew to himself that there were too many people that needed him more, and it pained him.

He had never wished for it to happen, where that moment would come to make him choose between his people or you. Never once in his life he thought of that. He prayed it would never happen.

"What is it?" he asked, stepping forward to see more of what Luna was trying to show him. He followed the oracle's bright, golden orb that was once in her hand through the path crept with shadows. A few meters away, soon he could figure out something.

A different light. A pale, indigo one.

"What could that be?" Luna asked him, her voice utterly laced of curiosity. She turned her gaze back to the glinting, flickering dull light after meeting eyes with Noctis. "It does not seem like a threat to me."

He shifted uncomfortably, not sure of what to say. Clearly, he questioned her, a response showing how hesitant he was. "You think so?"

"There's no harm in trying, Noct." The priestess gave him an assuring nod; now Noctis had no choice but to give in. It might be better than spending their time between the suffocating, narrow walls that seemed to close in—an illusion of trickery. But if it were worse . . . no, he didn't want to think of it. Not now when they needed space. "Come along," Luna said.

Noctis soon followed after with Luna leading the way towards the glistening orb embedded into a dead end wall. Then the two of them stood side by side to a halt, staring at it.

Without reluctance, Luna raised a hand, slowly plunging her hand into the light. She closed her eyes, and Noctis somehow thought, while watching her, that she was muttering a chant under her breath.

"Noctis," she called out.

"Yeah?"

"Help me decipher this light by placing your hand over mine."

Part of himself felt hesitant, but he gave in, putting his hand on hers that meant also plunging it into the orb. A warm sensation suddenly filled into him; the orb was giving off a serene feeling to him.

"Close your eyes."

He did. And it amazed him.

His vision was filled with wonder. Crystals glimmered, glowing as they floated within the darkness. He felt safe, a familiar comfort filling through his mind. He was sure of it; it reminded him of a certain someone.

And it was no other than you.

And in the blink of an eye, as soon as Noctis opened them, he was welcomed warmly by the brightly lit trees, illumined by the large, round moon hovered above. He looked from left to right in astonishment. Serendipity indeed.

Aside from Luna's white dress contrasting the dark backdrop that caught Noctis' eye . . . he turned around.

Eyes widened, his felt his longing heart settle in peace. A peculiar feeling it was: a mixed feeling of desperation and happiness. The desperation to feel those arms around him again, those irresistible lips on his own.

He caught those eyes of yours lifting into crescents, that smile of yours shining like the undeniably desirable moon, those perfect features of your face glistening in the dark.

There was nothing more beautiful than that.

You felt happy seeing Cloud laugh for the first time, indeed it was something not to forget. But there was more than that.

It seemed like fate had planned everything else.

For when you blinked, your eyes eventually landed somewhere behind Cloud's shoulder, somewhere deep and blue. You could recognize those ocean eyes. Those locks of dark, raven hair falling down to the sides. Those lips you have been wanting to touch for a long time.

It was also something you wouldn't want to forget.

Eyes slowly clouding with tears, you managed to stand up and walk past, staring at him from head to toe.

But before you could utter out the name that was like a melody to your ears, he suddenly vanished into crystals, also suddenly appearing into thin air right in front of you, and the moment felt like eternity when you felt a soft, familiar feeling pressed on your lips.

Heart beating fast, warmth increasing inside your body, mind suddenly going beyond imaginary. You loved him so much. You missed him so much.

Closing your eyes, you melted into the long kiss, Noctis then wrapping his arms around you.