1

Redeemer Within

Fantasy/Spiritual

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An enchanting melody echoed inside my head. That alluring music to my ears played by the clear stream, flowing endlessly as they sang their piece. With the moonlight enveloping the peaceful night, it made the waters of the stream even more stunning with its reflection. It was so majestic and pure.

Kneeling down the edge of the stream, I looked at its body and the distorted image of myself greeted me. It was odd for me to see such image of myself. That moment, I already knew that I was utterly shattered. And the face given to me by the reflection made it more obvious. I saw right through my face the sorrow residing within me despite the unclear image. Woeful memories started to haunt me. That wasn't what I longed for. I've had enough. I thought that I could find serenity in that place, but I was wrong.

I lifted my head and took a sight of the vast sky. My wings spread broadly and in its one huge movement, it threw me upward as the nightly breeze touched my muscular pale skin. I started to flap my wings and glided in the enormous and quiet skies, enjoying the freedom to explore, wandering my eyes to see the tall mountains from afar and the massive trees of the forest. The spectacular view and experience was enough to give me the lightness that I was looking for. 

After some time of amusement, I decided to spend a couple of minutes in the sky witnessing the brightest moon that I've ever seen with my own two eyes, seeing the countless stars twinkling as if it was a glittering decoration for the sky. I closed my eyes for a moment, and there I felt the warm embrace of the moonlight with the cold wind of the night. It was an absolute satisfaction, calming and mood lifting. The peace that I was craving for had finally came, even just for a moment.

"Idallus?" I was taken aback when I heard a very familiar voice and went back to reality. "They've prepared our feast. You should join us."

Spreading my wings to prevent myself from falling, I replied without facing him. My eyes were still focused on the soothing view. "I will, Elpos." 

"You actually will, huh?" he said with an obvious doubt on his tone.

I let out a chuckle and answered him, "You do know me pretty well, my friend." As I looked at him, I saw his face with no expression. I knew he's not convinced, and so I spoke once again. "Go on ahead. I'll catch up. I just need some time alone."

He scoffed with what I said. Based on his reaction, I knew that he'd just give up. I've known him enough to read his every action. "As you wish. But do catch up, okay?"

I just gave him a weak nod and a cheap beam and he immediately flew back towards the direction of our camp, leaving me alone with the marvelous sight. I heaved out a sigh and wished that it could forever stay like this. Just one peaceful night. An admirable silence that didn't fail to touch my worn out heart. A world with no fights, no useless arguments and no wars. It didn't matter for how long I felt that peace, what's important was the moment of tranquility it gave me.

Without further ado, I flew back on the ground but not towards the direction of our camp. Deep inside me I knew that I wanted to join my men, but I chose not to. Instead, I landed on a forsaken plain covered in mists of smoke created by the flames. The once tall and beautiful grass was dead, standing on cracked grounds with some swords struck on it. Everything that I saw at the plains was full of anguish. It was the scarred face of the war. 

For several years, we had lived our lives warring against our own kind, the Icarians. We have the same figure of humans only with the pair of wings on our back. A special creature created by God, Himself. Our war started when a faction refused to take me as their new leader. They believed that I wasn't mighty enough to lead the whole Icarians, but I didn't do them any harm. In fact, as their leader; I did nothing but thought of what might be better for us, but things suddenly came out of hand. The faction who hated me started to build an army secretly. Then the next thing we knew was we were fighting for what we thought was right.