Chapter 8: Tangled in Unfortunate Truths(Part 2)

I hadn't slept since I woke up from that dream, so I observed the sun at dawn. Although, my position never changed, and I still rested my head on Sora's torso, feeling at ease with the steady rise and fall of his chest. I discerned the slow, deep pounding of his heart and noticed that my heart carried the same rhythmic beat.

"Our hearts are connected, but not in the best way." I murmured quietly and rubbed his chest. "I'm sorry I tie you down, Sora. I wish I could be more useful."

"Hana?"

I turned instantly at the sound of his voice, for I thought he had woken up and heard everything I said; however, he still slept, and it seemed a nightmare had invaded his mind.

"Hana!" He kicked his legs in fright.

"Sora, wake up!"

"Hana, no!"

"Sora!"

He shot up, and beads of sweat rushed down the side of his face as his breathing matched the drastic pound of his heart and mine.

"I'm right here." I reassured him.

"Hana."

Hugging and comforting him, I wrapped my arms snuggly around his neck.

"It was just a dream. I'm here."

"Hana, I don't understand."

"What happened? What don't you understand?"

"How did I have a nightmare? I have so many dream eaters. Benevolent spirits that prevent me from having horrible dreams like that."

"What are you talking about?"

"We need to visit Master Yen Sid. Maybe he can clear some of this up. It's all so confusing."

"Who is Master Yen Sid? And do we have to leave now?"

"No, I want you to see those lanterns. We can go see him after. Don't worry about it now. Besides, I still have yet to find the keyhole and lock the door to this world."

At that point, the sun had finally reached its peak in the sky, and not a single cloud obstructed its rays from warming our skin to the slightest touch.

"Ah!" Flynn's curiously deafening scream woke everyone else.

"Maximus!" I cheered, capturing the horse's attention. He seemed happy to see me, but he also appeared distracted by an angry pursuit of Flynn. "Uh, oh."

Rapunzel suddenly rushed past me to separate the two unlikely foes, and Maximus reared to keep from knocking her down.

"Easy, boy. Easy."

Maximus pacified at Rapunzel's gentle gesture.

"Maximus! C'mere, boy!" I called, and he pranced merrily toward me as I stood to welcome him into my arms. "Why are you trying to hurt Flynn?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna need you to not hurt him." Rapunzel added as Maximus instantly turned to glare at her. "Just for 24 hours. Then, you two can chase each other to your heart's content, okay?"

Maximus nearly refused her offer, but gave in to her sweet, pleading face.

"Truce?" Flynn expected a handshake from the horse but merely received a hoof to his gut. Maximus neighed with laughter. "Oh, you think this is funny?"

"Guys. That must be the kingdom over there, right?" Sora pointed to a town surrounding a distinctly giant castle.

"Yes, that would be it." Flynn remarked.