Chapter 10

I laughed. "Yeah, I know. Edgar and I will be cuddle buddies." I joked. This earned a light laugh from Ashley as she stood. 

"Well, I'm gonna go. I came here for a while to kill some time, but we all see how that ended." She said, rubbing the nape of her neck. 

I gave her a guilty look. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for you to get roped up in this." I said, a hint of guilt in my voice. 

She shook her head and gave a 'psh' noise. "I'm not caught up in anything. I just assisted the situation." She said with a toothy grin as she headed for the door. 

I laughed and shook my head. "See you later, bud." I said. 

She waved at me and left, leaving me in the deafening silence of my own thoughts.

*****

Monday had rolled around, and I begrudgingly had to drag myself to work. I tried my best to cover the thin line of red on my throat, but it was impossible. People asked about it, and I told them the truth about what happened. Most of them just took the answer I gave them and left it alone. Except for one blonde. 

"Wait, you were attacked? By your ex?!" He asked, concern very prominent in his voice. I sighed.

"Yes. It's nothing. I made it out alive, that's all that matters." I responded, pouring myself a cup of coffee from the brewer. 

"Dude, that's crazy! I understand villains, but your ex? Like, damn." He said, still mumbling about it. I sighed and spun to face him.

"Mic. I said it's no big deal. It's really not. Just take what I've given you and leave it be. Please." I said, apathy painting my voice and my face. 

I took my coffee and left, not bothering to look at the blonde male sitting on a chair. I walked to my office and unlocked it, letting myself in. I sat down and began my paper work. "It's gonna be a long week. I just hope I don't get evicted..." I mumbled aloud, not really thinking about it.

*****

I returned home from work and went to unlock my door, and saw a piece of paper taped up to it. As I got closer, the big red letters became easier to read.

'EVICTION NOTICE'

I growled under my breath. "For fucks sake." I mumbled.

'Dear Ms. (L/n), 

Multiple warnings have been issued regarding your noise complaints filed by other tenants. Your rental agreement clearly states that only three complaint warnings are given before we are to terminate your tenancy. Due to the failure on your part to uphold the agreement of your rental, we have no choice but to issue this notice of eviction.

You have been given one business week, five days, to remove your belongings from the premises of the complex. Failure to comply will result in legal action, up to and including physical removal of all tenants and belongings in the apartment complex. If you have any questions on this notice, please speak with the management. 

Thank you, Management.' 

"Five days?! For all my shit?!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air.

I continued to grumble things under my breath as I ripped the note off my door. I stormed inside and slammed the note on the counter. I went and sat on my couch, rubbing my temples. I pulled my phone and dialed Ashleys number. The phone rang a few times before she picked up. 

"Hello?" Her voice came through, sounding like silver. 

"Hey, it's me." I said, still rubbing my temples.