Chapter 3

I plucked a few strings, making sure it was in tune before proceeding to play one of the songs I'd written.   

*****

Over the course of the week I had been waiting for the sports festival I spent playing my instruments, singing in the shower, or having breakfast dates with my best friend. 

But, eventually the day rolled around. I had gotten myself ready for the day, wearing my hero costume instead of street clothes. My suit was a black, slim fit tank top that went underneath a leather jacket and Kevlar vest with built in speakers. I had some slim fit leather pants to match the jacket. I had a headset microphone that was hidden under my hair, to help amplify my quirk. I also had a weapon. A pocket sized staff that was collapsible and expanded when I needed it to. 

I got ready and did my makeup and got in my car, driving to the UA.

My quirk is called 'Mimic'. I can replicate any sound that I hear, up to 10x as loud as the original sound was. I can only imitate one sound at a time, and if I over use my quirk, I lose my voice for a while. I also can't imitate any sound that I make. It has to be someone or something else. And, because of my quirk, my hearing is heightened significantly. If I focus on my surroundings, I can hear someones heartbeat in the next room. 

I showed up at the UA and parked my car in the designated zone. I got out and started on my way up to the back entrance for the heroes. There was already a line of civilians waiting for the festival to start. I was a little surprised to see such a large line so many hours in advance. Then again, it is UA.

I went into the back entrance and was greeted by a few familiar faces, but none of them knew me. I recognized Death Arms, Mount Lady, and Kamui Woods at a quick glance. Every hero recognizable was here, as well as a few I didn't know. I got a few waves and I waved back, a smile on my face. I went in and checked in with Nezu, making sure everything was in order and to see where he wanted me. 

He said he wanted me around the back perimeter, to ensure that no one would try anything funny. I was told I would be back there alone, the next person would be across the way, looking out for the side of the building. Most of the heroes were placed at the entrance. I nodded and took one of the radios he had for the heroes. I quickly stuck it on my person and went out to my station. 

I got into position right as an obnoxious voice came blaring through the monitor on the back of the arena. They were broadcasting the first year games. 

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen! Let me hear a cheer for our first year students out there!" The voice boomed. There were loud cheers coming from inside the stadium. I cringed back in pain and gently held my ears. 

"Ow, that hurt." I said, looking back out. I kept my hearing as low as possible, so it wouldn't be damaged by the obnoxious man again. I turned around right as he was speaking again, and was able to put a face to the voice. "Hizashi? You're really that loud?" I asked aloud, a slight hint of annoyance in my voice. 

I kept on my guard as the festival dragged on. We eventually reached an intermission of sorts where we were able to go on break and had someone fill in for us momentarily. I went into the break room and grabbed a bottle of water. I checked in with Nezu to ensure all was going well. He told me that everything was fine. He also thanked me for checking in so often. He said most of the other heroes didn't care enough to do that. I gave him a confused look before I moved on. 

I went out front to go get some food from one of the vendors. I stood in line for the potato croquettes when a very obnoxious blonde stood behind me. I turned to face him with a half smile, as he had already said my name aloud.

"Hi, Mic." I said, moving forward with the line. 

"Crazy games in there, huh?!" He said, smiling at me. 

"In all honesty, I've been too busy ensuring everything is secure to be worrying about the games." I said, a little more rudely than intended. 

"Wow, you must take your job very seriously then." He said, his voice lowering in volume. 

I nodded. "Yeah. Since the bakery burned down, I've been doing everything I can to make sure I get a position here." I said, stepping up to order. 

I placed my order and Mic was quiet for the rest of the time. I walked off and went back to my post, dismissing the rookie hero in my place. He went back to the break room and I went on the defensive again. Shortly after, the games started up again. There were a few conversations happening over the radio, nothing of importance though. The only time I responded was when they asked for status reports. 

Finally, the games had ended, and the people were flooding out of the stands. Mic was wrapping up his commentary and I waited until everyone left to leave my post. I wasn't taking any chances. Once I was certain everyone was gone, I returned to the break room and turned in my radio. That's when Nezu got my attention. 

"Ms. (L/n)? May I speak with you a moment?" He asked. I turned toward him and offered a smile. 

"Sure thing!" I said, walking toward him. "What's up?" I asked, standing across from him.

"I've taken into account that you have taken this job quite seriously. From what you said and what Mic had told me, you have been on guard all day. Am I correct in assuming that?" He asked, his gaze fixing on mine. 

I nodded. "Yes, I did take this very seriously. I may not have gone to school here, but I take pride in UA being on the top of the charts for hero schools in Japan." I responded. 

He smiled at me and nodded. "That's wonderful! Well, it is because of this behavior in you that I would like to offer you a position as chief security officer!" He said, still smiling. 

I paused a moment, my mouth agape in disbelief. I then nodded furiously. "I would be absolutely honored to take that position, sir!" I said, a smile spread wide across my face. 

He nodded back at me and offered a hand to shake. "Oh, wonderful. We'll have you come in tomorrow morning, then." He said. 

I took his hand and shook it. "Great! I'll be in early." I said releasing his hand. We both said our goodbyes and we were on our separate ways. 

I left the arena and got into my car, driving myself back home. I climbed the stairs to my little apartment and let myself in. I assumed I would have to be at the school much earlier than the rest of the staff, so I should go to bed super early. I stripped myself out of my hero costume, took a nice hot shower, and slipped on some night clothes. I plugged my phone in and got into my bed, cozying up for the night. Soon after I had gotten under my covers, I was sound asleep. 

*****

I woke up to the horrid sound of my alarm clock buzzing at me. I slapped the top of it and groaned in the agony of the morning. I pulled myself out of my warm bed and put my feet onto the cold floor. I cringed back a little, but forced myself to get up. I quickly put on my hero costume and slapped on a little makeup to make myself look publicly presentable. I then made myself a quick breakfast that consisted of toast and coffee and made my way out the door.

The cool morning air hit me like a train once I had gotten outside and I visibly started to shiver. I raced to my car and quickly started it, blasting the heat. I relished in the warmth as I started on my way to the school. I parked and got out, racing into the school as quickly as I could, to avoid being in the cold for prolonged amounts of time.

I made my way up to the main office, remembering the path that I had taken the first time I had come here. I gently rapped at the office door and heard Nezu say 'come in.' I entered the office and offered him a smile as I sat across from his desk. He grabbed out a few forms from his desk and handed them to me with a pen. I sat and filled them out in silence, my impeccable hearing picking up the sound my pen scribbling on the paper and the principles heart beat, along with a set of boots walking down a corridor a ways away.