Chapter 11

Unknown's POV

"Please, don't do this. I swear I won't tell anyone about you." I stared at the black wolf standing in front of me. His eyes were locked on me and his body was tense waiting to pounce at any minute. I was still in shock at what I had just witnessed. Ryker, the man I was taking care of had transformed into this beast that stood before me now. Never in my life had I witnessed anything like that. I had seen shit like that in movies, but I never believed that people like this actually existed. I watched the animal as he started to circle me. I pleaded again. "Please, Ryker. I am just an old man who lives by himself. I have no one to tell even if I wanted to. I took you into my home and cared for you. Please." I tried to search the wolf's eyes for any sympathy, but there was none, only hate and anger.

He continued to circle me and I prayed for a way out. I saw an opportunity to run so I took it. I ran through the open bedroom door and towards the front door. I could hear the beast right on my tail, but I didn't dare to look back. I opened the front door and ran out into the cold air. I looked around and saw the smoke coming from the cabin that was just over the small hill, so I ran that direction. My heart was racing and I didn't know if I could make it. My old body wanted to give out on me, but I willed it to run faster. I was just to the top of them when I felt the pain in my chest. "Please, not now," I said to myself. I chanced a look behind me, but I didn't see anything. I reached the top of the hill and my body couldn't take anymore. I collapsed to the snow-covered ground and suddenly felt the tightness of my chest as I struggled to breathe now. My left arm started to go numb and I started to have blurred vision. I knew what was happening and there was nothing I could do about it now. I would rather die like this than be eaten alive. I turned over onto my back and looked at the starry sky. "I'm coming home now my sweet," I said as I let the darkness consume me.

Matto's POV

It has been a week since Kendra left, but it feels like a lifetime. I had tried to keep myself occupied with work, but unfortunately, there still was the night. I often found myself taking nightly runs to try and clear my head. This night, however, was different than the rest. I had an uneasy feeling that I couldn't shake. I told Jace that I was going out for a run. Koda and Tenaya had stayed at the resort for the night, so it was just the two of us. I then walked out into the coolness of the night air and shifted. I could sense something in the air, but I couldn't pinpoint it. I shook it off and started my run north towards the cabin of the old hermit, Robert or as we called him Bob. He was a gentle old man that stayed out here alone. We had befriended him when we first moved here. He was out in the wood collecting the traps that he had set and had got caught by another trappers trap. His ankle was broken and he was screaming for help. Jace and I could hear his screams and come to the rescue. After that, he has been friendly and brings us furs and meat from his catches.

   Bob had done some amazing things in his life and all of us loved listening to his stories. He had served in the military during the Second World War. He had traveled all over the world and been with some of the most beautiful women you had ever seen. Then when he met his wife it was love at first sight. They had married very quickly and stayed together until her death two years ago. He always would tell us that he couldn't wait to join her in paradise, but believed that it just wasn't time for him to go yet. He really was a good man, who would help anyone in need. I had asked him why he lived out in the woods alone one time. He just simply responded that his wife had loved the serenity and peacefulness of the wilderness so that was where he stayed.

I started to climb the hill that separated our cabins and caught the scent of the old man. I wonder what he is doing out this late. I thought to myself. I didn't want to scare him so I shifted back to my human form and found some clothes that I had hidden nearby. I finished climbing the hill and saw the old man lying on the ground. "Bob!" I hollered out and started to run to him. As I approached him I could see that he was gone and had been for a few hours. The snow had lightly covered his body, but not enough to where I couldn't see him. I bent down next to him and saw a look of pure fright on his face. The poor old man had been all alone out here, no wonder he had looked scared. I gently picked his fragile body up and carried him back down to the cabin. I hollered out. "Jace open the door!" The door opened and Jace stood there wide-eyed as I carried Bob into the house.