Rosie rolled her eyes fondly at the creature, but Petunia pressed her lips together and looked over at her new daughter, who was sitting in a high chair and watching the entire scene with rapt fascination.

"Why do you let him talk about us, about you, like that Flower?" Petunia asked quietly, a moment later. Rosie was silent for a long moment as she thought of an answer.

Honestly, she hadn't really paid attention to some of the things that Kreacher said anymore. She had grown so used to them, grown so used to ignoring them because there was never any real venom behind them, that she forgot the little elf might still offend some people.

After a long pause, Rosie did the only thing she could do. She shrugged.

"He doesn't mean anything by it Petunia. I know you're going to try to tell me that he wouldn't say it if he didn't mean something by it, that his negativity will affect Harry and I, but I have to disagree. Kreacher was raised in a home where until the end, he was told over and over that muggles, muggle-borns, and anyone who wasn't a pureblood was a horrible thing. It's comparable to a child growing up in a toxic environment and you telling me it should have known better. There's no real meaning behind Kreacher's words when he says things like that. At this point, I'd even wager that it's become a bit of a pet name. He loves us in his own way and he's loyal. That's all I can really ask of him."

There was a moment of silence between the two sisters- the dining room was still full of the sound of Harry and Dudley's food war- and Petunia finally nodded. Over the last nine-ish years, Petunia had learned to trust Rosie in magical matters. Rosie knew more so it was only right to go to her about things that Petunia didn't understand. Petunia was older, but she was not always wiser.

Petunia still didn't understand how Kreacher could speak about his master's family like that when he was sworn to show his master absolute devotion, but she would trust Rosie. Rosie knew best sometimes and it was only too easy for Petunia to fall back on that habit right then.

*******

"How's university?" Petunia asked as Rosie washed the dishes the muggle way, and Kreacher scurried around putting them away. Petunia was at the kitchen table nursing Danielle. 

Rosie glanced over her shoulder with a little grin.

"It's a little difficult sometimes, scheduling study groups around Harry's bedtime. But I really like it. I like my professors, my classes, and I even like my house. Harry and I made it home, which honestly wasn't something I ever expected."

Petunia was silent for a second, and the only sounds that filled the kitchen were dishes softly hitting one another as they were moved around.

After a moment, "I really wish you'd reconsider trying to raise Harry and go to school at the same time."

Rosie rolled her eyes back and looked at the ceiling. When Rosie had first moved out she had informed Petunia of her intentions to look after Harry and attend university. Hundreds of women did that very thing every day. Single mothers went back to school all the time and functioned just fine. But even a year ago Petunia had been trying to get Rosie to change her mind.

Honestly, Rosie wasn't sure what Petunia wanted Rosie to do with Harry, if not keep him at Number Twelve. Petunia had Danielle now and even if Harry wanted to stay with Petunia while Rosie was studying, there simply wasn't any room for him. Besides, Harry liked Number Twelve and he liked Kreacher. He was a happy little boy.

"We're fine, Tunia. Between Kreacher and I, Harry's never alone. Looking after him doesn't really get in the way of my studies, and if I ever need someone to look after Harry, there's a lovely muggle couple next door who love him to pieces."

There was another small silence before Petunia spoke again.

"There's a perfectly nice muggle couple here that love him to pieces as well," she said quietly. "We love Harry too."

Rosie set her rag aside and turned to face her sister, a stern look in her green eyes. It was the same look she used on Harry when he had been naughty.

"Of course I know that, Tunia. Harry loves you as well but you've just had a baby. Danielle doesn't even sleep through the night yet and you have no business trying to look after Harry when you've already got to keep Dudley under control. You're so busy worrying about me that you're about to put too much on your plate." Rosie held her sister's gaze for another moment before she turned back around and went back to the dishes.

"If I ever feel like it's too much I'll phone you. But you've got to promise to do the same thing, yeah? If you and Vernon ever need a night off phone me and I'll be over to watch Dudley and Danielle before you can blink."

The kitchen fell back into quiet silence and Petunia smiled softly to herself as she held her baby closer to herself and watched her little sister move about. Petunia wasn't sure when it had happened, Rosie growing up. Perhaps it had been so gradual that it had been unnoticeable. But she was an adult now. And she was far better at it than Petunia gave her credit for sometimes.