They talked about how they had hunted a deer but decided to let it live—something Reece was profoundly proud of—and proceeded to tell us they would be going to Council Hall soon. The suggestion that I come along was one Reece wanted to hear nothing of. 

He adamantly shot out with countless reasons why my coming along wouldn't help but only complicate matters.

"The only thing that would come of it is them grilling you, trying to extract any kind of information they can. And since you don't know anything, there's no need for you to be there. Plus, you might let slip things they shouldn't know."

Reece used a demanding tone in his voice that made it clear it wasn't up for discussion. His word was final.

I tried anyway.

"I will certainly not let anything slip! And there's something I've been meaning to figure out. They can grill me all they want. I don't want to come along for that," I answered, folding my arms in front of my chest.

Reece pulled up his brows as he waved Jarred off and said, "I'll be there in a minute."

Although it caused my anger to resurface, I didn't comment on how impolitely Reece had sent Jarred away as the blond mane of locks stood up and disappeared into the house. Reece wasn't going to let me come. Even though he was still arguing with me—the fact that he'd sent his beta out before him made it clear there was nothing I could say to change that.

"And what would that be?"

I pushed out my bottom lip and huffed. "Since you're not letting me come, I won't tell you."

I don't give a damn if I'm being childish.

Reece chuckled at that, but I kept my demeanour the same nonetheless. I wanted to go. I needed to find out about why they had moved all the books from the bookstore in the human section of town. How they'd been monitoring us all and what was in those bones the council apparently needed. 

Now was the perfect moment to do so and find some answers.

"Let me come along! It'd be the perfect opportunity. They're monitoring the entire town—they said they'd know if we ever talked about how things are run here—" before I could continue my rambling, Reece cut me off.

"What do you mean, Catherine? You're not making much sense."

I huffed again. "It would help if you'd let me finish," I muttered. "You know, when the Thrakos family moved in. The teachers at the Iarhus told us that they would know if anyone stepped out of line and told the Thrakos family about our ways. I want to know how they would have known that." 

Telling Reece about my visit to the human section would stir up questions I wasn't willing to answer. Holden was something I disliked explaining all the time. And the bones... Well. 

Those were a whole new matter...

Reece's eyes widened in understanding, catching on. He opened his mouth and wordlessly said 'ah'. Without any further reaction, he too got up out of his chair and spun on his heel, leaving through the same—still shattered—glass doors Jarred had left out of.

"Reece! Let me come. Please." I threw my hands into the air, frustration washing through me. 

He stopped and turned around to face me.

Reece shook his head, his long dark hair swaying along with the movement, but at least looked at me with his brown eyes. 

"I'll see what I can do." 

Without another word, he pushed down the brass handle and closed the patio door behind him, albeit closing it was useless.

The wind still whistled through the hallway. It might have well stayed open. Ever since the attack, we had a hole in our home.