25

Michael's POV

I haven't spoken to Summer in a week, but she's all I can think about. My break is ending soon, which means I have to go to Los Angeles to work on some writing and recording before we tour again. Honestly, I love my job (if I could even call it a job), but sometimes I wished that I have a normal job. One where I worked 9-5 and didn't have to travel and deal with jet-lag. I knew that wasn't for me though, I only thought that it would've kept my relationship with Summer from ending.

I had been utilizing the hotel gym, trying to burn off some steam. It was hard at first, getting back into training, but I loved the feeling of sweat dripping down my face and my heart beating fast.

As I walked back to my hotel room after my work out, I bumped into someone.

"Michael, hey," the girl smiled. I vaguely remembered her from that night I took her to my room.

I mumbled, "hi," and went to focusing on the number in the elevator keep getting higher.

"So, about last week," the girl started. "I want to apologize for taking advantage of you."

"Don't worry about it," I told her as the doors opened and I exited, not taking another look back. I was done making stupid mistakes and I wasn't going to have anything to do with that girl. I walked down the hall, into my room and slipped off my nikes. After taking a shower, I sat on the edge of the bed in my towel with my phone. I wished to see a missed call or text from Summer, but there was nothing.

Instead of waiting for her to call me, I dialed her number. If nothing else, I wanted to see Hope again before leaving.

"Hello?" she answered, sounding tired.

"Hey, I was wondering if we could talk again before I leave. I also want to spend some time with Hope." I ran a hand through my damp hair, hoping she would say yes.

"Uh, yeah, sure. I was going to ask Sofia to watch Hope for a bit so I could go to the store, but if you want to you can."

"Are you sure?" I asked. I had yet to be with Hope by myself and I was already getting nervous at the thought. 

"Yeah, I don't see why not. I shouldn't be gone for too long." She sounded so sure, that I would be completely fine with Hope alone. 

"Alright. I'll be there in a bit," I told her. 

*** 

I stood in front of Summer's apartment door and shakily knocked. She answered the door, wearing jeans and a solid purple t-shirt. She looked as beautiful as ever, and I wanted nothing more than to pull her into my arms and tell her that. Instead, I just walked into her apartment, giving her a small smile. 

"Ok, I'll be back in a little while. Sofia is right down the hall, so if you absolutely need something you can find her. I'll be on my cell as well. She's taking a nap right now so she shouldn't be too difficult. There's a bottle made up in the fridge if she gets hungry. Just remember to warm it up. Ok," she finished with a nod, grabbing her jacket off the hook by the door. "I'll see you," she said, gently touching my forearm, causing me to feel a burning sensation.

I sucked in a breath and nodded. "Yep. We'll be just fine."

After Summer left, I wandered into Hope's room. She was sleeping peacefully, her thumb in her mouth. Her other arm was clutched around her stuffed turtle. I couldn't stop looking at her in amazement, that she was mine. 

I took a seat in the rocking chair, wanting to not be too far away from her. As I was zoning out, I wondered where Calum was, why she was going to ask Sofia to watch her instead. I shook the thoughts from my head, realizing that it wasn't any of my business anyway. Only Hope was my business and I was going to do my best to be there for her as much as I could. 

Not too long later, I heard her start to cry. I stood up from the rocking chair and to the side of her crib. I lifted her up, careful to be gentle. I walked around the room, making goofy faces at her, hoping to see a smile. "Hey, daddy's here," I said, bouncing her a little. It had been so easy to calm her down before, I wondered what was wrong now. Could she tell that Summer wasn't here? Was she not used to being with me yet? I felt as though I was doing something wrong. I walked with her into the kitchen, pulling the bottle out from the fridge. I began to put the bottle to her lips, when I remembered that I needed to heat it up. I put the bottle into the microwave and as I was about to close the door, I felt that this wasn't right. I stood there, wondering how else to warm up a bottle, trying to remember if I'd seen Summer do this before.  I felt like maybe I should walk down the hall to ask Sofia, but that would make me feel hopeless and pathetic, like I couldn't care for my own daughter. 

Hope was still crying, making me feel anxious. It finally hit me what I was supposed to do. I grabbed a glass out of the cupboard and filled it with warm water. I placed the bottle into the glass and waited for it to warm up. "Ok, baby girl. Your bottle is almost ready," I told her, trying to wait patiently. She was crying a bit less now, but still didn't seem happy. I tested the bottle on my wrist and it seemed like an alright temperature. I went into the living room and turned on the TV, finding some random show to watch. Hope seemed content when I placed the bottle to her mouth. She finished the bottle quickly and I repositioned her so she was upright against my chest. I gently patted her back, waiting for her to burp, doing just as I had seen Summer do a few times. 

Summer walked through the door while I was doing this, her arms full of grocery bags. "Sorry for being longer than I thought. How was she?" she asked, bringing the bags into the kitchen.

"She was great. She really is a crier though," I laughed. 

"Yeah, I'm not quite sure what that's about, but the doctor says there's nothing wrong with it," she shrugged. She emptied her bags, putting stuff away.

I wanted to ask if she needed help, but I figured I was already helping, but caring for Hope. She burped and I moved her so she was sitting up in my lap. She was getting bigger everytime I saw here and was amazed by how much her little smile reminded me of Summer's. When Summer entered back into the living room, I couldn't help but stare. I knew she was with Calum and it pained me to know that I wasn't the one making her happy. 

"What is it?" she asked, looking at me confused. 

I shook my head, looking away. "Nothing, sorry."

She took a seat next to me on the couch. "So what did you want to talk about?" 

I shrugged. "I just, I wanted to let you know that I want to be here for Hope as much as I can. I also want to help you financially with her. I'm sure I owe a lot of child support. She deserves the best, even if her parents aren't together."

I could see pain in Summer's face and I hated that I was the cause of it all. "Michael, we don't need your money. We're fine, but I would like it if you were a part of Hope's life and I know it's not going to be easy."

"Really, Summer I want to help and I'm going to work so hard to be a good father, Summer. I made such a mistake leaving you and I want to make up for it and I'm willing to look past you being in a relationship with Calum. I shouldn't have freaked out the other day, I was just overwhelmed." Hope was holding onto my finger in her tight grip, and Summer smiled at us sadly. 

"I have something to tell you, Michael," she said.

Heyyy(: what do you think summer wants to tell michael?? please vote and comment xx zoe