1. Mikes '99 Mix for Poppi

✨I'm only putting this back up for susie. It's discontinued so don't even read it.

09/14/2021 - I started this story when I was like 15/16 and tried to finish it around 19/20... i'm 23 now so my writing has changed TREMENDOUSLY. so whatever is in this that's gon have you like ummmmmm keep it to yourself because i know. ITS CRINGY. I KNOW. 💀
***

         I met Michael in '92 when I was 8 years old and he was 10. It wasn't love at first sight, because (honestly) I didn't know what that was. The only thing I knew was that he was my big brother Caleb's best friend and that he practically lived at our house. But nonetheless he treated me just like his little sister protecting me when someone picked on me and making sure I was good as we grew up.

     It wasn't until the 4th of July in '99 that we finally solidified our romantic interest to one another on the balcony of my parents house in Atlanta, Georgia.

Now I'm sure my dad had millions but for him simplicity was key, so we stayed humble and grounded in the neighborhood my father grew up in.

     Fireworks were going and while Caleb was out chasing one of his many girlfriends at the time Michael had kept me company, watching the pretty sparks up in the sky.

     That night he gifted me with the first of many cassette mix tapes that he'd made to express his feelings toward me. I accepted it graciously, never letting it out of my sight for years to come.

Mike's Mix for Poppi '99, he'd wrote on the white cover paper before sticking it inside the casing. 

A-Side
Can He Love U Like This x After 7
You Mean the World To Me x Toni Braxton
Feenin' x Jodeci
Slow Dance x R. Kelly & Public Announcement
When Will I See You Smile Again x Bell Biv Devoe
Brown Sugar x D'Angelo
Lady x D'Angelo

     "You're always going to be my girl, Poppi." He'd told me in all seriousness, having pulled my lounge chair around so that I was facing him, "no matter what."

     I nodded, smiling. My fifteen year old heart couldn't handle the way he was looking at me and it gifted me with a feeling that I wasn't familiar with and when his hand gripped the part of my thigh that my shorts didn't cover, my heart was caught in my throat.

     "I'll always be your girl," I promised not knowing exactly what I was promising at that moment.

I remembered he tried to kiss me, but I stopped him, putting my finger to his lips. His eyes opened in a flash, looking into mine as he was inches away from my face. "But I have to be your only girl, you hear me?"

     He smiled, causing the skin of my finger to lightly brush his front two teeth. He moved his head, opening his mouth and playfully bit my finger.

     "You're the only girl I'd ever want, Poppi. I promise you that."

     Then he kissed me, but the kiss was short because I heard the voices of my girlfriends from my backyard. "Come down, Poppi! Let's go party!"

     Michael and I both stood up from our chairs, peering over the balcony down at my friends as the fireworks popped in the background, but I heard their childish giggling.

     "Hi Michael," they sang in unison, waving at him.

     I groaned, "oh jeez," face-palming myself.