Prologue

The war that once ravaged the universe came to an end. The denizens of the Rularian Empire cheered and drank to their heart's content. Festivities all around the empire's capital illuminated the castle that scraped the sky.

Iridescent fireworks were launched into the starry, night sky by the powers of the nation's strongest combatants. A wonderful display of colors spiraled into a crest of the royalty as if the most loyal warriors tried to forever imprint it into the sky.

On a balcony high above in one of the castle towers, the brother of the Empress, Prince Valerio grew weary of the constant celebrations. Aside from mostly dressed in black, a long, white vest was secured by a purple sash on his waist. He squinted his dark eyes as they were glowed by the golden rings around his irises. With the array of colors shot into the sky, he let out a sigh and walked back into the halls of the castle.

The higher floors of the Rularian castle was shrouded in darkness. The prince didn't mind, but rather, reveled in the peace and quiet that resonated in the halls as his footsteps echoed outwards around him. Sooner than he thought, he came across an occupied room with the door slightly open as the sounds of arguments leaked out. Unable to hide his curiosity, he peeked into the room.

"What is the Empress thinking?!" yelled a councilman. "A unified universe?"

"We already lost a few worlds because of the Primordin," sighed a woman across from him. "We should be supporting Empress Serena's efforts. Unlike the rest of you lot, she doesn't sit around all day."

"As ambitious as she may be," said a rugged man in the room. "She is still reckless. Her brother, on the other hand..."

"Cut from the same cloth," said the woman. "The same flesh and blood, the same Regalia and yet, they're too different."

Valerio knew where the conversation was going. As much as he wanted to intervene out of anger, but instead, he grit his teeth and continued down the hall. He passed by a large window as a flash of colors came through.

"Peeking again, dear cousin?"

Valerio let out a deep sigh. "What do you want, Ilya?"

A young woman no older than the prince. She was leaning with her back against the window. Her hair was braided over her shoulder, while her snowy-white bangs were off to the side. Just like every Rularian, the rings in her eyes gave off a color that reflected her soul. A mischievous purple hue resonated from her eyes.

"Have you heard the rumors?" she asked with a slight grin.

"About?"

"Your sister was smitten by a human," Ilya looked down at the festivities. "Perhaps she's down there with him right now."

Valerio turned and faced her. "Whatever my sister does is none of my business." He averted his gaze.

"Well, perhaps I should go kill him? Or steal him away?" Ilya walked up to him and looked into his golden eyes. "Are you sure whatever dear Serena does isn't your business?"

"Do whatever you want." He turned and walked away.

"You didn't hear, did you?" Ilya ran up to him and stood in his way. "He rejected the Soul Link she offered."

"Then he's just as much as a fool she is." Valerio tried to step around her, but Ilya persisted, forcing him to back up against the wall.

"I think you're lying," she grinned. "You may hide your emotions behind harsh words, but when it comes to caring for those close to you. It's so easy to read."

Valerio glared down at her. "For a human to reject the Soul Link is unfathomable. He could've became a Rularian and lived a long life. Instead, my sister will far outlive him and she'll watch him slowly wither away until he's gone for good."

"Hmm," she looked carefully at him. "A facade doesn't suit you well, dear cousin." She backed away and turned around, facing away from him. "Hey, is it true?"

"About?"

"That you're leaving the empire behind?"

"I'm sorry, but... I couldn't take it anymore. You know how the elders can get when something doesn't satisfy them." Valerio clenched his fists out of frustration. "My sister already granted me leave. She doesn't know why, but she was clearly saddened when I requested it."

"When are you leaving?" Ilya asked as her voice wavered.

"Tomorrow," he answered. "My belongings are already packed and both of my servants will be coming with me."

"It must be nice, isn't it?" She spoke up, much to his surprise. "To be granted leave to a section of the universe that the empire hasn't touched."

"Wait, I didn't tell you about–"

In one fluid motion, Ilya turned and slapped him. The sound echoed out in both directions of the hall.

"Are you kidding me?!" She yelled as tears welled up in her eyes. "You decided to just up and leave because you couldn't handle it anymore?! This isn't a fight where any of us could unleash every ounce of power on the battlefield."

Valerio stumbled back, shocked.

"You could've just told us your troubles and we'd help you!" Ilya couldn't contain her emotions. "We're family, aren't we?"

The prince couldn't force out his voice.

"I asked Serena myself," Ilya stepped back. "I thought I could get you to break that facade you always had. She's... not really down there in the festival with that human." Ilya wipes away her tears. "She's saddened even more than me and refuses to see anyone in the throne room. Just like you said, she's a complete, utter fool."

Valerio stood in silence.

Ilya turned away as the skirt of her dress flowed with her movement. "I was thinking of leaving the empire too, but I know Serena doesn't like farewells and I don't want her to be saddened by my leave either." She glanced over her shoulder at him. "There's this little world I've been eyeing called "Eos". Maybe I'll go conquer it after I've been banished." She walked away from Valerio, trying to nonchalantly wipe away her tears. "Come visit me in a couple of decades when you can."

The prince let out a sigh and returned to his quarters, unknowing about the tragedies that his journey would bring.

——————————
Author's Note: This work still takes place in the Infinite Gates Universe, like the rest of my works. However, this story takes place when the universe is still young, so several million years old or so.

Valerio Aeterna is not going to be like all the other protagonists I've had show up before. The path he walks will be significantly different. Whether you see him as an Antihero or a Villainous protagonist is up to you. In my opinion, he's the latter of the two.

This amazing art of Valerio is by Kishyie

Thanks for reading, voting, and commenting! The Umbra Regalia will be unleashed

Aurafall: The Umbral Regalia (Prequel to the IGU)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara