'Silence!' she commanded, turning her face from him. 'I will hear no more. It is clear to me that you think yourself to be above His law.  A flagrant disregard which is not only impertinency but contempt. You are no longer given leave to speak here, Paeris of Mennir and should you break this decree you will incur a more severe penalty than befalls you now.' It was a threat. Theodan knew Paeris to be a stubborn fool but he prayed that for once he would stay silent. 'Menodice, Remove this Leoth from my sight - I have no desire to look upon him any longer.'

This time Paeris was wise enough to keep silent, but as the Mendodice moved to surround him he sent another pleading look toward the council. When it was clear that no one would intervene he hissed something under his breath and made a show of adjusting his robes. His air was that of someone forced into some final indignity. He allowed the guards to lead him from the chamber but as he passed Theodan he shot him a look as deadly as the poison of the blackyew. This newest insult would not be forgotten, Theodan was certain of it, but he had no time to dwell upon it now. He would have a great many enemies to contend with when this was over.

Only when the sound of the Menodice's footsteps had faded did the Visier turn her focus once more upon himself and Fara.

'Son of Ishilde, you are recovered?' She asked him.

He could still feel the vision echoing across his skull. An axe through bone. Savage and violent. Yet he could recall nothing of what he had been shown. Nothing of what had caused his body to flicker out like a weak flame. The space where he knew the memory of should reside was nothing but white space. A bright endless nothing which crushed against his temples and pressed upon his eyes. He recalled the Visier asking if he had the stomach for rebellion, and then... white. Nothing.

He felt somewhat ashamed that the entire court had seen him a victim of his own mind. That Fara had seen him weakened by it. Then he wondered if she had been glad. Glad to see him crippled by his own 'gift'. Was it that weakness which forced her hand now? Did she consider him too weak to protect her so she sought to do it herself? The thought sickened him. Pulling himself to his full height he turned his full attention back on the council.

He nodded once. 'I am, Visier.'

'Then We are glad of it,' she said.  He could not tell if her tidings were genuine or not. 'And so to this matter brought now before us. It seems the Princess of Calate's declaration speaks to either your ignorance or your deceit, Son of Ishilde. Tell us, of which are you guilty?'

He did not get a chance to speak.

'Your commander knew nothing of my identity, High visier,' Fara answered for him. 'Not until I spoke it here before you.'

He blinked at her in surprise.

'Then tis ignorance!' Orrin spat. 

'Then Theodan is exonerated,' Caera countered.

'Exonerated? Hardly.'

'He cannot be guilty of breaking plenary Law if the female is of Calatian blood, brother.' The voice was from behind him. He had forgotten Vala was still inside the chamber. When he turned she was looking intently at her brother.

'Sister, your presence in this court is neither welcome nor necessary,' Orrin declared. He looked demeaned by her outburst. 'I bid you remove yourself from it at once. You have no voice here.'

Vala looked like she might challenge him, but unlike Paeris, Vala had long ago learned which battles she could win and which she would undoubtedly lose. Resentment simmered from her as she glared at Orrin, before she lowered her head in deference to her Isdar. He had certainly never earned her respect as a brother. Then, with a single look of intent in Theodan's direction, she turned on her heel and strode from the chamber.