Chapter Thirteen: On the Way There

Start from the beginning

"He can stay." I said tightly, my heart full and my throat caught. "Of course, he can stay." I cleared my throat noting the eyes upon me, "It's a good idea. You look breathtaking with a babe in your arms, skjöldur mær. It makes me impatient to put a son in you even more."

My wife looked at me steadily, "Do you want to hold him?" She asked quietly, gently.

I looked down at my beautiful boy, my blood, and shook my head. "I can't." It pained me so much to say so. "Not here, not now." I murmured to her, she nodded framing Rekker up so he could sit on her hip. He smiled at me, waving his fists. She had dressed him like a Viking child; with a pointed hat covering his flaxen hair, a woollen tunic and a tiny set of trousers and boots. He was sheltered warmly under her cloak. "Thank you, skjöldur mær minn." I whispered as I bent to kiss the top of her head. My son raised his head to be kissed as well, I laughed. "Alright, little man" I kissed the top of his head too, breathing in the smell of him. My hand shook as I knuckled his chin. "Strong lad."

"Like his father, my king." I stared into the beautiful eyes of my own; I couldn't stop myself from leaning in to kiss her firmly on the mouth. May the heavens bless this woman, she was a lost Valkyrie fallen from Valhalla. She barely kissed me back, but I knew that was more out of uncertain shock than refusal. Her lips were so soft and cushioned, she tasted so sweetly of the mix of fruit she'd eaten this morning. Apples. Strawberries. Grapes. So aromatic and delicious. When she opened her eyes my breath caught as I drowned in the maelstrom of black flicked blue eyes. "I don't want to go with you." She murmured, eyeing me carefully.

I bristled, "You're not heavy, skjöldur mær minn." I threatened, "If you refuse to come, I'll throw you over my shoulder and toss you onto that horse." I gripped her arm tightly, "You're not staying here."

She opened her mouth to argue, but shut it to think for a moment. "I don't know how to ride, you know that, right?"

I blinked. No, I didn't. I gazed back at the men, and at the horses. "Why? Don't your people ride? I mean, surely you have to, to travel to places." I bumbled out, "You're not frightened of them, are you?"

She gave me a sullen look, veiled with wan feelings. "Well... I've never ridden one before. They look.... strange. We use them to pull the carts and things. I mean, some men ride." It almost sound like a question, her brows were furrowed in unsureness of what I wanted to hear. "We just walk to wherever we wish to go. Or sail." She was bug eyed with brooding. "I'm sorry, Husband." She apologized softly. "I-I can learn... If you want me to..."

I gave a dismissive wave, "I'm not going to hurt you just because you don't know to do something. You don't need to apologize." I looked down at my son; he looked so perfect in her arms. She looked perfect. She looked like a mother, and by the Gods she deserved to be. I will get her with child on this trip no matter what I do; I couldn't care about anything or anyone else. "Come, I want you to meet someone."

Shyama stood by her pony, her shoulders tilted defensively and she was under clear intimidation from her two brothers. She studied my wife curiously as we approved her. I gestured a hand in introduction as we reached her. "This, my wife, is my little cousin. My favourite cousin, I should say. Shyama." Onyx bent down to shake the reedy twelve year olds pale hand. If she noticed the scar on my little kin's face, she hid it well. It ran along almost top to bottom of the right side of her face, starting an inch above one eyebrow and an inch short of her lips. Her eye was somewhat more milky in translucence than its dark blue twin. I glared darkly at my uncle.

Onyx smiled brightly, "Hello, Shyama. I'm Onyxia. It's nice to meet you." She greeted standing up again. Rekker cooed and buried his face in her pale hair. Shyama gave a tiny smile back, looking adoringly at the older woman. Shy stood thin and slender for her age, not yet grown womanly assets. Her dirty blonde hair was straight and wispy. Her small lips twitched with effort to hold back a lit smile. She had been quite taken with my wife when she arrived. "I have a younger sister called Luna who is around your age. Perhaps one day you'll get to meet her."