6. Zayn - I Forget To Say Goodbye

I entered through my hostel gates, giving a slight nod to William who greeted me with a smile. I had started feeling a bit welcomed here, even though it was only my first day.

There must be so many more like me, right? New to this place, this whole new world? There must be so many like me.

Except, not like me.

I stared at the book in my hands, it's spine cold against my palm. My thoughts wandered, stopping before a lightened face; Every. A smile crept on my lips when her face flashed before me, I just couldn't help it.

I needed to return the book before she could get caught, she could get severe punishment for pulling a stunt like this. Why would someone risk that much for me?

The flavours of California (Ice-cream) were savouring in my mouth, like the embers of a warm fire, and I could still hear Every's laughter when I told her it was the best thing I'd ever tasted. I told you her eyes had shimmered.

I was in no mood to eat from the Mess, now that I was reluctant to lose the flavours that were still exploding in my mouth, but I think I didn't really have choice. I didn't have enough money and it was the only place where I could eat for free. Wow, how my life has changed.

It was a good change, anyway. Or so I convinced myself. It had to be.

Climbing up the steps I pushed the front door ajar, revealing George who straightened in his chair like he'd been waiting for me.

"Hello Mr. Mulligan." I greeted, pacing towards the stairs to get in my dorm as quickly as it was possible. The curtains in the parlour were drawn, so the light penetrated enough from the windows alone that there was no need of any electricity.

I, personally, liked this thing about this place. Things are better when they are natural. Its same for people.

"Zayn, you're back. I was looking for you." I furrowed my brows, coming to a halt before his desk.

"Why?" I asked, placing my arms on the desk casually, forgetting- not for the first time- this wasn't my home. I folded them, not lifting them still. The book was brandished before him, extremely vulnerable. But he didn't even glance at it. "I'm not late. I'm early, in fact."

"I know, but the Headmaster has scheduled a meeting with you. He'd like to talk to you personally." His jaw tightened, like this was a matter of agitation. "It's scheduled at noon, today. He says that you asked for it? Now, I don't mean to pry but did you really?"

This made me uncomfortable, and I finally pushed myself away from the desk, my arms now dangling at my sides, feeling useless. "I did, actually. But- I didn't know he'd agree so soon." I admitted, pursing my lips apprehensively.

George nodded slowly, his face pensive and legitimately concerned for once. I held my breath, waiting for him to speak.

"I don't think that's a good sign." He said finally, leaning in his chair.

I debated if he said that to make me nervous, or if he was warning me beforehand what to expect. I just shrugged and moved towards the stairs.

"Your dorm mate is going to shift today." Mr. Mulligan announced, making me stop mid stairway. I turned to look at him, forcing a smile.

"He's always welcome." I tried to joke.

"Don't lock your room. It's useless anyway. I've got a spare key."

My heart leaped. "But isn't that wrong? Like, I don't know, it's wrong?" The only ounce of my precious privacy.

"I meant to say it's the key that I'll give to him. That's why don't bother locking the door." His wilting eyes bore into mine. Looking at my deadpan face, he suddenly chuckled, an eerie sound with it's senile music.