Sneak Peak

The rain poured down mercilessly upon the city as a low rumble rang loud drowning the sound of growls behind me, for a brief moment. My feet pounded against the wet ground, splashing in the puddles formed by the rain. A flash of lightning illuminated the night sky before falling back into darkness.

I ran up to a small coffee shop grateful that the door was unlocked. The soft sound of the bell rang as the door swung open. I was immediately welcomed by the smell of coffee and the warmth the small shop provided.

"Hello," a woman's voice greeted with a small smile.

"Hi," I responded stepping away from the door. There was no one else in the shop besides me and the elderly woman.

"What can I get for you?" She asked.

"Caramel latte please," I answered while searching for the money in my bag.

My body shivered as a cold chill ran up my spine. The warmth that the shop provided was quickly replaced and no longer provided comfort. Some of the lights began to flicker only adding to the eerie presence.

"You know what" I turned around to the woman only to see her looking at me with a strange smile. I took a step back as I stared at her pitch black eyes.

"You shouldn't be roaming the streets at this hour," her voice became distorted with each word she spoke. "But you'll make a fine meal."

I turned around and ran towards the exist. My hands pushed the front door open and I took off running down the street. The only thought I had in my mind was my body being ripped apart by the claws of the demon.

Another low rumble echoed through the dim street. The growls that I heard earlier were gone. Soon I found myself slowing down, my trembling legs on the verge of giving out.

I glanced over my shoulder expecting to meet death, but there was nothing. No demon. No monster. No deformed elderly woman. I took deep breaths trying to calm my racing heart as I processed what I saw.

I continued walking at a much slower pace too exhausted to sprint the rest of the way home. My sweater was soaked along with my shoes and jeans. I lifted my cold hands and blew on them to warm them up, but it was useless. My body shivered as a cold breeze blew by.

My feet came to a halt when a low growl reached my ears. My eyes widen as I saw a demon was on top of one of the buildings sniffing the air. Its skin looked like it was burnt with a number of scars throughout its body and it had no eyes. It opened its mouth to reveal sharp fangs that were ready to slice through flesh.

I slowly took a step back making sure I stayed quiet. It turned its head away from my direction while I took another careful step back. It let out a deafening screech. My hands lifted to my ears to muffle the piercing sound but it was no good. A small whimper escaped my lips.

The demon snapped its head in my direction. I turned on my heels and took off running. The sound of claws making contact with cement made me push my legs to move faster.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed my forearm and pulled me into the alley. My back hit the wall as a hand covered my mouth. My eyes snapped up to meet a pair of electric blue ones. The man in front of me lifted his hand up and placed his index finger to his lips, signalling me to stay quiet.

We both turned to the entrance of the alley to see the demon sniffing the ground like a dog. It crawled into the alley on all fours like it was following a trail. The stranger glanced at me before glancing back at the monster, but there was no fear evident in his eyes.

The demon stalked closer to where we were standing, growling as it got closer. I felt the man's muscular body pressed against mine as the demon slowly approached. Tears streamed down my cheeks mixing with the water drops from the rain. The demon stood up on its hind legs, making it appear bigger and taller than an average person. If it wasn't for the man's hand I would've screamed, sentencing both of us to our graves.

Another set of growls echoed through the alley as four demons stepped out from the darkness and a few others climbed down from the top of the nearby building. The blue-eyed stranger lifted his hand from my mouth and slowly unsheathed a sword that was strapped to his back. The growls grew as the demons stalked closer.

I lifted my hands to cover my mouth to prevent any sound from escaping. This was it. A loud rumble roared through the sky and all the demons lunged towards us.

.  .  .  .  .

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Thank you for taking the time to check out the new version of Fallen Warrior. For those that read the original, don't worry the characters will remain the same...for the most part. :)

Be ready for a whole new twist where nothing is what it seems. 

A.

.   .   .   .   .

Please note that this is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or redistributed any form or by any means without the author's permission. Just don't copy someone else's work.