Chapter 12

-Julie's POV-

I heard loud footsteps coming from behind me. A few moments later, Daryl sat down next to me, and placed his crossbow beside him on a rock, and stared out into the distance, like I was. I was curious as to why he followed me out here, but I felt that if I started taking to him, then the conversation would shift over to my scars and where I got them. I didn't want to be explaining any of that to Daryl, so I just sat quietly. We both sat there silently, for what felt like hours, but in reality was only a few minutes. Daryl still sat beside me, staring into the distance, and he looked to be in deep thought. I really just wanted this time to be alone right now, but seeing that Daryl wasn't going to talk anytime soon, made me realize that I'm going to have to wait. I eventually got sick of the quiet, and I broke the silence.

"Why did you follow me out here?''

Daryl shifted his head so he was looking at me. His eyes stared into mine and I heard him sigh before he shifted his body, so he was facing me. Daryl remained silent for a few more moments, no doubt trying to form the correct words to say in his mind.

"I uh jus' wanted to come an' see if ye were alrigh'. I didn' mean to make ye mad at the store today. I didn' know an' I jus' wanted to make sure ye were alrigh'. I now know tha' ye don' want my pity, but I jus' wanted ye to know tha' yer a great person, I realized tha' after ye saved me tha' day in the mountains, an' ye don' deserve to hav' them scars an' all, an' I hope tha' the fuckers tha' did tha' to ye are rottin' in 'ell," Daryl stated.

I looked into his eyes the whole time while he was talking to me, and by the time he had finished, he had started shifting awkwardly, and started avoiding eye contact like me. I could tell that he felt that he had said the wrong thing again and thought that I would blow up in his face again. As much as I hated pity, I decided to just let it go this time. I thought hard about what he had just said and started chuckling. Daryl's eyes snapped up at me and he watched me as I sat next to him, laughing like an idiot.

"Wha' the 'ell is so funny Julie?" Daryl asked.

"Oh nothing, just thought about what you said, and it was pretty deep," I responded.

"yea I guess wha' I said was deep, 'specially fer me," Daryl responded.

We both stopped talking after that, and admired the river and the other scenery around us. It was only quiet between us for a few seconds before I heard movement coming from behind Daryl and I, and I pulled out my knife, ready to attack.

"Well looks like ye two finally figured yer problems out huh?" A voice said from behind us, who I immediatly identified as Merle. My guess was correct when I saw Merle step out of the trees and stood a few feet from Daryl and I with a smirk on his face.

"Shut up Merle,'' Daryl growled.

"Woah! Calm down baby brother, all I said was tha' it seems like ye two finally figured out yer problems, from wha' I heard..." Merle trailed off.

I felt my heart drop and my stomach churn when he said that, and Daryl glared at his brother with dark eyes full of anger. I could tell that we were both afraid that Merle heard the part about the scars.

"Merle...... How much of the conversation did you hear?" I asked him, terrified of the answer. I truly didn't want to ask, but I needed to know if he knew or not. My scars aren't something I need people knowing about.

"I showed up when I 'eard ye laughin' Julie. Everythin' after the laughin' I 'eard," He said.

I sighed in relief, and Daryl slightly relaxed. I feel so much better knowing that he didn't know, having one person know was more than enough.