Chapter 14

Rick and I walked back to the cars in silence. When we got back to the cars, we saw that Merle, Daryl, Glenn and T-Dog had already made it back. Daryl was pacing, and he looked pissed. A few of the women looked a little frightened, especially Amy and Carol, but all of that emotion washed away when they noticed Rick and I approach them.

"It's 'bout time ye two finally showed up," Merle said, clearly mad.

Daryl's head snapped up, with pure rage in his eyes, and seeing us only seemed to piss him off even more.

"Well tha' took long enough, wha' the 'ell, we were all worried! We thought somethin' happened!" Daryl yelled, glaring at Rick the whole time he spoke.

"Just calm down, our house was filled with a lot of supplies so it took us longer," Rick told everyone.

Daryl just huffed, and Carol and Amy looked happier then they did a few moments ago.

"What's the layout like in the other houses?" Rick asked.

"They're all the same, kitchen, family room, living room, and bathroom on the main floor, and three bedrooms and a bathroom on the top floor," Glenn replied.

"Okay, then let's put four people max in a house," Rick replied, before turning away and taking his bag, and mine from Carl.

We all walked into the gates, and Daryl locked it behind everyone. Andrea, Amy, Glenn, and Dale all took the first house. Sophia dragged Carol over to the second house, followed by T-Dog, and to my surprise, Merle entered the house too. I hope he doesn't cause trouble. Carl ran to the house Rick and I cleared, Rick following behind him, and Daryl and I walked side by side, behind Rick. Daryl glanced down at the gracery bag in my hand.

"Whatcha got in the bag?"

"Oh, it's stuff I found, Rick thought you would want it," I said, handing the bag over to him.

Daryl glanced into the bag, and his eyes grew wide at the cigarettes.

"Damn, thanks girly," He replied.

"Yeah."

We all entered the house, and Rick told us that he and Carl would take the Master bedroom and share the bed, I called the room that belonged to some girl, and left Daryl with the other room. We all walked upstairs and put our things in our bedrooms. After placing my bags down, I sat on the bed for awhile, thinking. Mainly about my life before the apocalypse, before I started thinking about this girl and if she was surviving in this world. All these thoughts brought tears to my eyes, and I took the time to wipe my eyes. I remembered then that I told Rick that I was going to bring back firewood for the firepit. I picked up my knife, and left the room, searching for Rick.

I walked down the hallway and knocked on the door to the master bedroom. I heard a faint, 'come in' and I pushed open the door to see Carl sitting on the bed. He looked up at me and smiled, and I smiled back at him.

"Hey Carl, do you know where your dad is at?" I asked him.

"Yeah he went outside I think,"

"Okay thanks," With that I left and shut the door behind me. I walked down the stairs and opened the door, stepping outside. I looked around but Rick wasn't out here. I turned back around and re-entered the house, and walked to the back door by the kitchen. I looked out the glass door and saw Rick leaning against the railing. I pull the door open, and the noise alerts him that I'm joining him. He looks over his shoulder, and smiles when he sees me. He then turns around, and I walk out onto the deck, standing beside him. His smile seemed to grow bigger and bigger by the second, and then he started laughing. I gave him a confused look.

"What the hell is so funny Rick?"

Rick pointed over to the corner of the deck and I saw a rocking chair sitting there, and it looked about as old as the one that I broke on the front porch.

"Wanna sit down?" Rick asked, still chuckling.

"Why, so you can watch me break it and fall on my ass again?" I questioned, finding myself chuckling along with Rick.

"Yeah something like that," He replied.

"Well I'm glad that me taking a fall because I broke a damn chair amused you so much..... You're never going to let that go huh? I bet you that you will always harass me for breaking an old rocking chair and falling on my ass," I laughed.

"Yeah, I will probably hold onto that for awhile. Now, why did you come out here, because I'm pretty sure you didn't come here so we could talk about you and your issues with chairs,"

"Oh, I just remembered that we needed some wood for the firepit, so I was going to come let you know that I was going to go out and find some," I replied.

"Alright, be safe," Rick told me.

"Always am," I said, before walking off of the deck, and around the side of the house.

When I reached the front of the house, in the distance, I saw a figure shut the front door to the first house. I could tell that whoever that was, was carrying a bucket. As the figure came closer, I realized it was Amy. She looked up from the ground and smiled at me before she called out,

"Hey girl!"

"Hi Amy! What are you doing?" I asked.

"Oh I'm going down to the creek, and I'm going to get some water for cooking dinner tonight. What are you doing?"

"Going to find wood for the firepit so we can cook dinner tonight," I reply.

"Oh, cool, don't venture out too far," Amy said.

"Same goes to you."

We both went our seperate ways, Amy headed North to the creek, and I headed west to look for some wood. After about 2 miles of walking, I found a lot of broken tree branches that were lying in the middle of the forest, waiting to be picked up. I collected a few of the branches, and planned to make another run back here, since I couldn't carry much. While I was walking, I heard a scream from nearby, and I heard Amy's voice calling out for help.

"HELP!! WALKERS!!"

I dropped the wood, and ran as fast as I could, following Amy's voice. Her cries for help became louder and louder as I continued running but I couldn't locate her. I heard a few gunshots go off, and I froze in my track, pinpointing where the noise came from, before running again. My heart was beating out of my chest, and the adrenaline was rushing through my veins made me push myself to run faster, even though I just wanted to stop and catch my breath.

I broke out of the treeline, and saw Amy was surrounded by eight walkers. I unsheathed my knife, and ran forward, attracting the attention of three walkers. I stabbed one in the head, and it fell limp to the ground, I shoved the second one back and stabbed the third one, before attacking the second walker that finally managed to stand up. Glancing up, I saw a walker about to take a bite out of Amy's arm, and I threw my knife, hitting the walker right between the eyes. Amy shot three more walkers and I pulled my knife out of the walker and turned around to stab the final one. I cleaned the blood off on one of the walker's shirt, before sheathing it.

I looked over at Amy, and she was shaking. She dropped her gun, and began sobbing. I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her waist, and she latched onto me, sobbing into my shoulder. A few minutes went by, and she finally pulled herself back together, and pulled away from me.

"Thanks," she said, barely above a whisper.

"Yeah, let's just go back to camp-" I stopped when I heard loud footsteps coming from nearby us.

"Look! Tracks! They're fresh too. The screaming must have come from this way!" I heard an unfamiliar voice call out.

I reached down and picked up Amy's gun, and at that same moment I saw three men emerge from the trees. All three of them smiled evily. I began to have a really bad feeling about these people, and I pushed Amy back behind me, protecting her.

"Well, look what we have here," One of the men stated, his smile growing bigger. I felt a lump grow in my throat, and I suddenly felt scared, for me and Amy.