Chapter 1: The First Meetings

Huey's morning was started by the sound of an awfully played bugle and his brother, Dewey, scampering around the cabin. Louie tossed over in his bed.

"Five more minutes," Louie muttered, clearly trying to bury himself in his pillow.

"No," Huey replied, yanking away the blanket, "it's our first full day, and we need to have breakfast before all the other kids take it!"

"Mm." His youngest brother replied as he sat up, yawning.

Dewey was already dressed and ready, waiting by the door. Dewey and Webby had been talking about the camp for weeks, so naturally it made sense that he was the most excited about it.

Huey changed out of his pajamas and put on his usual red shirt. He smiled at his reflection as he pulled his hat down onto his head and exited as Louie hastily pulled his hoodie over his head and followed behind them.

The mess hall was a one roomed building, it's walls lined with photos of campers past. The room was filled with children talking loudly as they ate, and at the front was the food. Carefully making their way over to the set up, they dumped their preferred food onto their plates.

Huey reached to grab some strawberries, before pausing when he noticed another hand stretching out to claim the last of them. Looking to the hand's owner, he noticed it belonged to one of the girls he'd helped yesterday.

"You can have them." He said, pulling his hand away.

"Thank you." The girl replied softly, quickly dropping the strawberries onto her plate and walking away. Huey smiled and grabbed the only strawberry remaining.

"You didn't have to do that." Dewey pointed out. "She doesn't control you."

"It's called being polite, Dewford." Huey shot back. Dewey stuck his tongue out at him and slapped a pancake onto his plate. "Louie....are you drinking Pep! for breakfast?"

"Yeah, what are you having?" Louie asked. Huey looked down.

"A strawberry."

"I'm doing better than you." His youngest brother shrugged.

He shot a glance over at the table where the girls were sitting. He considered asking his brothers to sit with them, but he had no clue if they were a welcome presence.

"Let's sit over there." Dewey suggested, pointing to an empty table. Huey sighed, and just followed his brothers over to the table. That's when he felt someone grab his wrist.

It was the girl.

"Um, hey," she said awkwardly, "...thank you. For the bags, and the strawberries."

"It's no problem," he assured, "I really don't mind."

"No, you need to eat too." She insisted, handing him a cinnamon roll from her plate. "I'm April."

"Huey." He replied, offering a hand. Smiling back at him, April shook it and then turned away.

[I]"Well, it looks like I made a new friend."

"Huey, are you sitting down or what?!" Dewey called.

"I'm coming!" He replied, taking a bite of the roll and continuing on his journey to the table.

"What's with you and that girl?" Louie inquired, "Do you like her or something?"

"What? No!" Huey exclaimed, feeling repulsed. "I just met her yesterday, and the idea of liking her just feels wrong to me."

"Whatever you say." Dewey teased. Huey rolled his eyes.

-

After breakfast, they were free to do whatever they wanted until the rest of the established activities. Dewey felt his heart pounding with adrenaline as he ran past his opponent and shot the ball into the goal.