Chapter 5: Denial

Rin's P.O.V

From where I stood, I can already see my grandma's house. I knocked on my Grandma's door which she opens right away.

"Rin! I missed my favorite grandchild!" She exclaims as she wraps her arms around me.

"Ma, I'm your one and only grandchild, remember?" I told her jokingly (I really am though). She chuckles at my remark.

"Only or not, you're still my favorite!" she says as she loosens the hug and holds me at arms length, staring at me lovingly. "And what do you have here?" she asks.

"Oh! I made roasted lamb for you! And also some sweets from Mom and your favorite flowers!" I told her with a grin as I walk towards the table and take out the contents of the basket.

She frowns at the sight of the lilacs I picked for her.

"You strayed away from the path didn't you?" her eyes looking concerned.

"I-"

"I told you.. No. We told you to avoid straying from the path. Come straight to my house or go straight home. No detours." she scolds me as she takes off her glasses, pressing the bridge of her. She's stressed now.

I sigh heavily as I approach her and hugs her. "I'm sorry ma... But I'm nit a kid anymore... I can take care of myself.. Besides, these lilacs are not that far from the path. I won't ever get lost."

She hugs back before letting me go. "Stay for the night. I don't want to risk your safety letting you out there alone in the woods again."

I nodded at this and smiled at grandma. She didn't know I am not alone in the woods. I have Rei with me. He keeps me safe and company.

"If you keep smiling like that, it means something good has happened." she tells me as she sits on the couch. I took a sit beside her.

"Well, after a long time, ma... I saw my best friend again. He's.." I stared as her as she starts chuckling. "W-what?" I ask her, confused.

"It seems that this friend of yours is that same friend from before you always tell me about right? That boy right" I nodded.

She knew about Rei, but I never told her he was a wolf demon. Though I told her back then that my friend has this cute dog ears and a dog tail, she'd laugh and won't believe about it. She dismissed it as a wolf/dog costume Rei uses to get my attention.

"Does he still wear that doggy costume you said he wears back then?" she laughs again. I pout, crossing my arm. "I'm joking Rin. But I really am glad you met him again."

"Me too, ma.."

"You seem to crush on this young lad.."

I looked at grandma with wide eyes. "Crush? On Rei?! Heck no!"

She chuckles at my reaction. "Why so defensive, Rin?"

"You're jist like him. Always teasing me." I said pouting.

"But you indeed look blooming all of a sudden after seeing him again. You'rr starting to smile with no apparent reason."

"A-am I?" wait. Did I just stutter?

She chuckles again. "C'mon, let's eat dinner then you can rest.. And probably sort out those feeling of yours." grandma stands up and head towards the kitchen with the basket of goods I brought her.

Now that she said it, I can't help but think about it. Do I like him that way? Yes. Back then when we were young I do say I'd marry him, but that's different now. Though he proposed to me again. But like he said, it was just a joke. Augh! Geez! Why am I even stressing out with this?!

****

"You look awful." Rei comments as he walks me back home, his face too close to me for my comfort after my grandma pointed out that I have a crush on him. So I pushed him gently.

Who would even be able to sleep after that?!

I sighed and shook my head at him. He's completely clueless. Does he even know what he's doing to me?

"Hey, what's wrong?" he holds unto my hand, tugging me back in the process as he stops abrupbtly from our trek home.

"Nothing!" I yelled at him irritated and pulled my hand from him.

"PMS?" he grins. Augh. Look, he's joking again!

I glared at him. "Not funny." and I continued to walk. With or with out him escorting me. Heck, much better of he's not around.

****

Rei's P.O.V.

I have no clue what had happened as Rin stops off. I feel something pricking on my chest. She wouldn't even glance at me. So, I decided to follow her in the shadows.

Somehow or for some reason, she became uncomfortable with me. I don't even know what's wrong or did I do something awful to her?

I can't help but sigh as I see that we're nearing the clearing that'll lead her to her village, not once did she look back at me. It hurts. She walks on. Without even stopping to say goodbye.

I walk back towards our lair dejectedly. She's safe back home but her not even bothering if I was around or not hurts me. A lot.

From a distance, I can see Yuu standing with her arms crossed.

"Not now Yuu." I told her and headed straight home. I want to be alone for now.

I really love Rin. But she now, rejects me. Even acted that way today.

----

A/n

Sorry wasn't able to post again. I KNOW. IT'S BEEN MONTHS ALREADY, SO IF YOU'RR STILL ON THIS AND IS READING LET ME KNOW. :)