Chapter 1 : The Fleeting Red Color

Rei's P.O.V

Today is a very special day for me, at last, I reached my 21st birthday; at last, I will be able to stray from the pack during the hunt; I am at last allowed to hunt for myself. I will be able to do the things I longed to do; I will be able to go out of our hidden lair.

I am Rei. The only son of the demon wolf tribe's chief. Right now I am off to the place where the ceremony will be held. Our tribe is hidden in the deep woods with all the protective incantations so that no human may find their way into our tribe's land.

"Rei-kun," I turned back to the voice of my best friend-Yuri. "I want to go with you today." she said, smiling at me.

"Yuu-chan.. For the last time you can't" by then the smile plastered on her face faded. "I want to do this all by myself."

"But, you can always bring someone with you even if it's your coming-off age hunt... You came with me-"

"This is different from yours Yuu-chan, I am the chief's son-his heir."

"So, what if you're the heir?" she looks down, fidgeting.

"If I want to be respected like my father, I need to prove it  to the whole tribe. You know that. I want them to see me not just another free loader; that I am worthy to become their next chief."

"You don't have to do this all by yourself.." she said, still not looking at me, "You know how dangerous the woods has become. You know how.." she faltered, I know very well she remembered her older brother. I wrapped my arms around her, comforting her and reassuring that it it'll be all right.

"That wont happen to me. Have you forgotten?" she looked up at me as I am still embracing her. "I am Rei-kun, son of the demon wolf tribe chief- your future leader." I said to her, smiling as I wipe off her tears. Hopefully I could wipe off the worry in her heart.

I felt her hugging me back. After a minute or so,she pulls away, wiping of her tears completely and flashes a smile. This time, I know she completely trusts my decision.

"Be careful, Rei-kun.."

"I'll always will.." with that I went off more eager than before.

****

"Now, go forth Rei! make your clan proud and bring home your kill to us!" with that, the crowd  bursted in cheers. I waved at them and was about to go when I felt my dad's hand over my shoulder. "You don't have to this alone son. Bring someone with you at least."

"No, father. I am going alone. I will prove myself worthy enough to be their future chief."

"I see, then at least come home safe to us-to me."

"I will." I took form into a wolf and darted off to the woods more determined to bring a greater kill than before. Maybe a dear would do. Or a pony.

I continue on my hunt. But I could hardly see anything worth the kill. Saw a couple of bunny, some squirrels, birds.. nothing big enough for me to show father. I kept going that I hadn't noticed that I was already at the edge of the woods and was near the village. Instinctively, I backed away slowly that none of the humans will notice my presence.

I can see the humans from a far; living their lives however they like, treating themselves superior from all the beasts. I remember very well Yuri's brother death from that long tube-like thing that spits fire as fast as light. The death of other demon wolves. They hunt like us, but are very dangerous.

When I was sure that I was far from the naked eyes of the humans, I resumed my search for a prey until I notice a fleeting red color by the woods. I was taken a back by this. I don't know such beast with such bright color. Does a bear cub had such bright colors? I approach my prey slowly, jumping from one tree to another so that I will not scare it away. I am very determined to get my kill now. A bear cub is such a prey my father can take pride on. It was until I was a few feet from my prey that I noticed it was a human. I looked around searching for other humans. Who knows, they could be hunting too. But I can't see any of them aside from this one.

I was sitting on a tree branch in my demon form. Examining the human. She's carrying something with her.. I can smell food.. Good food.. It smells so tasty. When suddenly..

*crack*

The branch I was sitting broke off and I fell to the ground.

"Aaaaahhhh!!!!!"