Chapter 3: Reminiscing The Past

REI'S P.O.V

Today is another day. Another day to endure the excruciating lectures of my father. He was kinda mad and sorta worried I got home kinda late yesterday hunting for a deer. But I know deep inside he's proud of me.

"The next time you hunt, hunt near our village."

"I wont get any good kill by then." I rolled my eyes at him.

"You make me worry so much." he sighs.

"I'm not a kid anymore. I can take care of myself."

"At least bring someone with you."

"They'll just hold me back. I still want my own solitude, Dad."

I heard him sigh, "Fine. Just be careful."

"I know that very well, Dad." I gave him a reassuring smile then waved goodbye. I can't wait to see Rin.

I ran off till I get to our usual meeting place when we were kids. The big oak tree by the heart of the woods. I reached it in no time, thankful enough that she's not yet there and waiting for me. I always come early. I don't want her to be waiting for me.

I sat under it's shade leaning against it in the process. waiting for my human-I always tell her that back then. I closed my eyes reminiscing the old times.

I might have dozed off for when I open my eyes, I saw Rin, her face quite close to mine, 'bout an inch away from mine, smiling widely at me.

"Ohayou, Rei-kun~"

"S-since when did you arrive?" I stuttered.

"Oh, not that long, I think." she said giggling, I can feel my cheeks heating up. She stood straight, ruffling my hair in the process. "Took you a while to notice me though~" she said as she turn away from me.

I stood up, rubbing the back of my neck, staring at the ground in embarrassment-wait, why am I even embarrassed?

"I kinda doze off, you see... Sorry." Why am I apologizing to her? sheesh.

"Well, I'm sorry too. I helped mom on some chores." I glanced up at her, seeing her smiling.

I can't help but smile back. Her smile tells me that everything's okay. I feel as if my heart is fluttering in happiness.

"Hey, let's have lunch." she said, holding up her basket as she walks back at me, "I prepared you your favorite, you know."

"Oh really now?" I said, raising a brow at her.

"Well, you can check for yourself." she hands me the basket as she put out the blanket for us to settle into.

I grabbed the basket, as I caught a whiff of deliciously cooked lamb. I remembered how she sneak roasted lamb for me in the basket of goods for her grandma almost every day.

"You remembered then." I said in amusement. it had been years since we last shared roasted lamb.

I stared at her as she sat on the blanket she lay out for us as she patted the space beside her. Instinctively, I settle beside her as she leans on my shoulder. I tried to suppress a smile but it still crept on my face naturally.

"You know Rei-kun, I missed those times a lot. I thought I'll never gonna see you again." she started.

I put an arm around her, "hey, hey.. It's supposed to be a happy get-together right?" trying to be cheerful though I felt sadness tugging on my heart. Truthfully, I thought that way too before. We would always spend the days together here, playing, discovering new things, she'd even bring a book with her and read me stories.

"Y-yeah. You're right!" she said trying hard to sound cheerful.

"Hey, I'm starving," I tried changing  the subject. "I want to gobble up my lamb." I told her grinning.

"Sorry," she said chuckling, "I forgot that my little wolf here is hungry." she said jokingly as she pulled out the roasted lamb for us to share.

"ITADAKIMASU!" I yelled then started digging into my share of meat. It's rather flavorful than what I remembered it to be.

"I cooked it myself," she says, "do you like it?"

I looked at her shocked. She must've noticed 'cause she looked away. I swallowed the meat in my mouth. "This is actually.." she looked at me hopefully, "the best meat I've eaten my whole life!"

" you're exaggerating.." She says, chuckling. "You told me the same thing when I brought mom's cooking."

"No, I am serious. It really is the best cooked meat I've eaten."

Rin flashes a smile upon hearing that. Her smile. . is so heartwarming. I feel my face heating up so I looked away as I took another bite.

***

RIN'S P.O.V.

I can't help but smile at Rei's compliment. Though I thought he was blushing when he looked away or was I just imagining it?

After we had our lunch, I stood up and wandered around searching for wild flower's for grandma. My petty excuse for taking too long to get there. I remember there was a patch of lilacs around here. As I kept on walking, I suddenly looked back if Rei was following, well I actually forgot about Rei. I looked back and saw Rei following a few steps behind me. He smiles seeing me looking behind. I signalled him to hurry up.

I sat near the patch of lilacs started picking flowers as I hum a tune. A little while later, Rei sits beside me, as he helps me choose flowers.

"Rin, do you remember; back then you used to make me flower crowns." he says as he glanced at me, I noticed he somehow made a ring out of the small blooms.

"Yeah, and you used to make flower rings too." I do remember back then he would cheekily and shamelessly ask me to marry him. Remembering those days, I can't help but blush.

"Rin, will you still be my wife?" Rei asks me holding out the flower ring he made for me to wear. I flush the more I saw the seriousness in his face.

I got up and looked away. "You're always fooling around like this back then, too." I tell him, hiding my blushing face and stomped my way back to the where the road is.

As much as I wanted to accept the flower ring he made. I still don't know how I feel for him. I mean, our relationship is so complicated. With him being a demon wolf and me an ordinary human. Our worlds are just too different. Above all I don't want either of us to get hurt.