He was completely on board with that. I mean, come on. Girls are constantly throwing themselves at Nate but I felt confident in my trust in him that he'd never do anything to hurt me. We were so far from the insecure people we once were. Having an open and honest relationship where I told him absolutely everything, and he reciprocated that with respect, was such a refreshing feeling that I'd never experienced in a relationship before.

For once, I could say we were solid. We were no longer in a state of what if's and what could be, we were finally here.

"Yes, it's fine," I told Max now. "I don't need his permission to hang out with my friend."

At the sound of that, Max's shoulder relaxed and he seemed relieved. "Okay, good. And yeah, you can spend time with who ever you want to but I know given my...well, whatever happened in Aruba, I didn't want to overstep on your relationship."

"You're a sweet guy, Max," I said with a cheeky grin. "Thank you. But we're friends and we can have dinner if we want to."

For the next two hours, we caught up about everything. I hadn't seen Max since our departure at Aruba. With much detail, I spoke about leaving the New Yorker, how I was expecting to say my goodbyes to everyone there, and what my hopes for my future at Time magazine were. He gave me some advice since he had close colleagues that worked at Time, as well as a much appreciated congratulations.

Speaking freely with Max mad me feel very blessed to have gained another friend. He was a familiar face that I had opened up to only days after we had first met in Aruba, and every time I was around him, I felt myself open up more and more. I didn't have any underlying romantic feelings about him, if anything, he was starting to feel like an older brother now. He was a well-repeated writer in the industry who constantly threw advice and constructive criticism that I knew would only help me in the long run.

I've come a long way from the shy and reserved girl I used to be who only ever had one friend. Here I was, having dinner with someone I only met a few weeks ago, our friendship already flourishing. I was immensely proud that I had starting to feel comfortable putting myself out there and unafraid to let new people into my life because historically, it's only ended in solid relationships with people who were starting to become family.

We finished dinner and parted ways, scheduling a day for him to join me, Kevin, and Nicole to go out for drinks next week.

Wow, who would have thought?

Me, here in Manhattan, with a thriving social life. I don't even recognize who I was at times because of how different things have been after just a few years. What a drastic change from when I first started as an intern at Forward.

After dinner, I took a a cab to another familiar building, reflecting on the past week and what's been going on since our arrival back from Aruba.

I guess the biggest news I've already spoiled a bit, is that I got the job at Time magazine. Again, it still hadn't felt like a reality come true yet. I had literally been dreaming about a job at Time magazine since I can remember. I was excited but also extremely nervous - I didn't know what expectations I was designated to meet but I knew I only had the choice to exceed them. Now more than ever, my writing had to be top of the line. That came with some pressure, but also the horizon of a new challenge I couldn't wait to get started on.

News of my departure at New Yorker was met with many emotions. Nicole was upset that she wasn't one of the first I told about the interview, or that I had even thought about leaving. I convinced her to believe me when I said it was completely unexpected and that obviously, if I had any intention of leaving, I would have mentioned something to her. She accepted that, and broke down in a way I had never expected her too. The conversation ended with us embracing each other in tears, blubbering on about how much we meant to one another. Again, I hadn't expected that type of reaction from her, but I took advantage of her showing a bit of actual humanity.

Ricky was sending me pictures of outfits he wanted me to wear for the interview before I could even tell him what company I was even going to. He actually chose the outfit I wore in my interview and I honestly think it gave off a great first impression. He teared up a bit when I FaceTimed him the morning of my interview as I stood in his handpicked outfit. He also kept blubbering on about how proud he was and how much he cherished our relationship.

I don't know how, but I managed to make two of the people I thought were completely heartless, melt into two puddles of love. I'll take the win.

Bessa, Tony, and Kevin came over to our apartment almost minutes after I had texted them in a group chat about it and we celebrated with bottles of champagne and reminisced on the days that we had only dreamt about moments like this. They were actually the first ones I had told about the interview, as the three of them held a very special place in my heart. They were my group, my backbone, my go-to people.

With all five of these people, we had formed a little family that I loved sharing my life with.

How did I feel about leaving the New Yorker? Truthfully, scared. The New Yorker was my first stepping stone. It was a chance to prove my place in the editorial industry. Now that I was going to a prestigious magazine company like Time Magazine, now it was time to show them that I could only get better. I had to continue reminding myself that this is what I've been working towards my whole life.

I still had one week left at the New Yorker, and I didn't even want to think about planning my goodbyes. Well, I still lived with Nicole and Ricky is basically our third roommate considering he spent more time at our place than his, so really, it wouldn't be that hard of a goodbye. But having spent three years of my life walking, sometimes running, down those hallways, rushing to my next meeting or to submit my piece, and just seeing the friendly faces I had grown to love over the years, that place became a part of me.

Starting over at a new company with new people I didn't know was a bit intimidating. I didn't know how they were going to react towards me and I wasn't sure if my writing could even compare.

Nate was always telling me to stop psyching myself out. I was getting myself worried over something that hasn't even happened yet and he was right.

Ah, Nate. He was a subject I'd never get tired of talking about. Despite being back home and adjusting to our new relationship - him being halfway across the world running on a completely different time zone and all - it's been such a great time. I love staying up late and getting to talk to him about whatever new destination he'd visited that day, and telling him more crazy stories about my last few days at the New Yorker.

We agreed to make time for each other whenever we could, sharing our schedules and meeting up during the free times in the week we had, which wasn't a lot because he was always busy when I was free and vice versa.

But on nights like tonight, when we both had an evening off, I couldn't think of a better way to spend my time than with him.

Here's the thing about me and Nate.

We were inevitable.

We weren't going to fight that fact anymore, we were going to embrace it.

So, when I FaceTimed him minutes later after collapsing onto my bed, he immediately answered. The screen showed that he was just waking up himself, his hair tossed across his sleep face, buried in the sheets.

On instinct, a wide smile formed on my face.
Oh, I would never get tired of this feeling, seeing him in his most vulnerable states, knowing these moments were just for me.

With or without Nate, I was still Haley Monroe, former intern at Forward magazine and current first writer at Time Magazine.

Independent and free, living my dreams.

"Good morning, Hale. Don't you look like a delicious snack," He said, his voice still raspy and coarse.

"Good morning sunshine," I greeted him back.

He opened his eyes, smiled widely and said, "I love you."

I couldn't help but swoon.

I sighed in delight, feeling everything in my life finally falling into place.

"I love you too."

Damnit, Nate Chester.

THE END

A/N: Lol, SIKE. Y'all thought this was the end. EPILOGUE COMING SOON.