The Search for Knowledge - Chapter 2

(Author's note: A reminder that I have a channel for non-spoiler questions (like the level system, adventurer ratings, etc) on my twitter https://twitter.com/TheSearchforKn1?lang=en ! Lastly, most importantly, PlasticSaint did all the editing for this one. I think he did a great job and I wanted to credit him a bit... Alright enough interruptions, enjoy the chapter!)

"As written in the quest description, you will accompany me around Chalice while I investigate various topics. Specifically, you'll serve a dual purpose as both research assistants and guards." Kara explained, after her butler had brought them tea and an assortment of small cakes which looked as expensive as some of the books on the shelves.

"You will be compensated every two weeks, one-hundred gold each. The funds will be deposited directly into your magic banking accounts. Once you consent to the quest conditions, I will sign a binding contract to this effect. We will also cover any necessary travel expenses during the length of the quest, aside from weapons, or other personal purchases. Lastly, what the quest slip did not state, is what we will be researching. Unfortunately, I will not be able to go into details until you've both signed a binding contract. One preventing you from speaking of our research to anyone outside our group, apart from the head of the Aqua family.".She finished with a serious expression on her face.

Rox had to take a moment to process what he had just been told. Most of it he had already known, although the magic contracts were new, and he was now curious beyond belief as to what a genius talent like Kara would need to personally travel the world to research. With how rich she and her family seemed to be, one would normally think that they could just purchase any materials or books they'd need, or hire people to do it for them. He looked over to Feera, who looked back at him for a moment before speaking.

"Yeah, I can promise not to tell anyone. The pay is definitely good enough to buy my silence." Feera's voice was as cheery as ever. She was not exaggerating about the pay, one hundred gold was no small amount. The average citizen could work a high paying job every day for a year and only be able to reach around eighty gold. "You must be studying something very juicy, or very blasphemous, to be offering us this much pay twice per month just for keeping bandits away and keeping our mouths shut." This time when she spoke the cheerful tone had an edge. It might be best to be wary of this elf.

Kara, however, took it in stride and responded gracefully, "I suppose you will have to find out for yourself. After you sign the contract." She beckoned to the butler, who brought forward two pieces of pristine, white paper with their individual contracts written on them. There was a magic seal on each one, signifying that it would bind those involved with magic to follow through lest they be cursed by the gods. "Please read through your individual contracts before signing, as you will not be able to go back on your word."

She had not bothered to confirm whether or not Rox would be signing the paper. He was a bit bothered by this, but shrugged it off and took the paper. He could always decline if he decided not to since he had not committed yet. He began to scan through the contract, everything she had said was on it except that there was one extra thing. According to the contract, Rox would have to allow Kara to teach him the basics of magic until she was satisfied with his progress enough to release him from the contract. It also stated that he'd have ten gold added to his pay because of this.