Chapter 23

^Denaudie at top^
        I led Beatrice into the house and sat her down at the island counter in the kitchen. Her hands were shaking as she took the cup of tea I made her. Lucinda sat on the opposite side of the counter next to Manny. Mason and I sat at the ends of the island. She sniffled as Mindy and Aaron ran to his room to play with his toys.
      Beatrice hadn't told Mindy yet. She said she was going to be crushed. Even though she was young she remembered the fun times before Denaudie was mated and she loved her big sister and kept waiting for her to come home.
       "What's happening, Alpha?" Bee asked quietly.
       He sighed and I moved next to her, taking her hand. She seemed to visibly relax from the touch of her Luna.
       "We're going to get who did this to her, Beatrice." Mason promised.
       She nodded and covered her mouth, starting to sob again. I rubbed soothing circles on her hand and we all sat quietly.

        Mindy stayed at our house that night so Beatrice could have some time alone. I put all the kids to bed and went to the bathroom to freshen up before bed. I dug in my bag for my makeup wipes and came across a brand new box of tampons. My brows furrowed slightly and I took them out. I checked the calendar in the bathroom and realized I was six days late for my period. My eyes widened and I sat on the counter, biting on my nails. I mean, could I... Did we... I sighed shakily and thought about it for a while.
         A knock on the door shook my thoughts away.
         "Hey babe. You alright in there?" Mason asked from the other side of the door.
        "Yah, I'm fine. I'll be out in a second." I called back.
       I put everything away and removed my makeup before exiting the bathroom. Mason was scrolling on something on his phone and turned his gaze to me. He smiled slightly but it wasn't a happy smile. I slid into bed next to him and kissed his cheek before laying down.

      I woke the next morning to an empty home. I sighed, reading the note that Mason had all of the kids while he was in town. I tapped my fingers on the counter and looked at the calendar again. Period six days late. Three days away from being crowned Luna. Goddess...
      The doorbell rang and my brows furrowed slightly, wondering who could possibly be there. I opened the door and peaked out the small inch of opened doorway. To my surprise, Troye stood outside the door. I sighed and opened the door wide enough and stepped out of the house.
       "Hello, Troye." I said blandly.
       "Hello, London." He replied in a small voice.
        "It is Luna. To you." I told him curtly.
       I understood that he had lost his mate. And his unborn child. But at the same time, he did not think enough to care this much while she was alive. A wolf like that has much making up to do for disrespecting his mate, not to mention the Goddess herself.
         "I know what you must think of me. I think of myself the same. I should have treated her right. But I fid not. I was cruel and slept with another." He sniffled, choking on his words.
          My eyes narrowed.
          "Why did you come here, Troye?" I asked him.
          "I... I've never experienced it. I don't know if it's true. But your touch... a Luna's touch can soothe bad emotions... Evne for a moment. I know you're not a full Luna yet, but I read you can still do it, just not as intense." He replied.
          I raised my brow, wrapping my blanket tighter around my shoulders.
          "Please, Luna. Please, just take the pain for at least a moment." He shuddered, sobbing.
          I sighed, my heart going out to him slightly. I bit my lip and inched my hand toward his chest. I had never really intentionally one this. I felt on the spot at that moment.
         My hand rested over his heart and he sighed, hiccuping slightly. He calmed as I kept my hand in place.
        "Thank you." He whispered, tears coming back.
        I nodded gently.
       He sulked away back the way he came and my heart aches for him. I couldn't imagine losing Mason. Or an unborn child. I looked down at my own belly and smiled slightly, closing the door behind me. I sat down on the couch but as soon as I did, the doorbell rang once more.
      "For the love of Pete." I groaned.
I went to the door and swung it open, slightly irritated. Dark brown locks of hair swished as the person turned excitedly. I was even more surprised when I saw that the person was Giselle. She was not pleased to see me however as her mouth set in a thin line.
"Oh. Luna. It's you, I was expecting Alpha Mason." She said, her lip quirking in slight disgust.
"He's out at the moment, Giselle. I thought you were still in Canada." I said bored.
"Oh, yah. It was a drag, I got back the day before yesterday. When will Alpha Mason be back?" She asked.
She moved to entire our home but I blocked her way and stepped outside, closing the door behind me.
"So I assume you've heard about what's been happening lately, then?" I asked.
Her eyes narrowed slightly and I saw her swallow.
"Yes. Of course, Luna. I also heard about your... ordeal. I mean... that must have been awful. And what happened to Ira. It would be so hard to run a pack after that." She said, feigning concern.
"Maybe for some." I said, eyeing her up and down.
Her jaw locked and she stuffed her hands in her pockets, not pleased.
"And her name is Iris." I added.
She flicked her hair over her shoulder and cleared her throat. I didn't miss the roll of her eyes.
"Yah yah. Please tell Alpha Mason I have returned and was here." She said, pulling out her phone, looking determined as she typed away.
She began to walk away and I tilted my head slightly, thinking.
"Giselle. You may want to be careful walking alone. There's way too much that could happen right now." I called after her.
She stopped, turning slightly toward me. She gave me a smile.
"I'm not too worried." She said calmly.
My jaw locked and I went back in the house.
"Piece of work that one is." I heard.
I jumped slightly, turning to see Lucinda standing with her arms crossed.
"Goddess, you scared the shit out of me." I grumbled.
"My apologies, sis. Honestly, though, you played that well." She told me.
"I wasn't playing anything." I sighed, sitting on the couch.
She sat next to me as I turned on a movie.
"Whatever you say." She replied.
I studied her for a moment and she caught me looking at her. She raised her brow and I shrugged.
"What?"
"I don't know. You're just.. you're not like Mason." I admitted.
"Well, I also haven't had to do what Mason had to do. Haven't seen half of what he's seen. Neither has Manny." She answered.
I nodded.
Lucinda and I talked and got to know each other for the rest of the afternoon and I had to say that I had taken a liking to her. She was fun and I laughed a lot. She ate with Mason, the kids, and myself that night. The kids took a liking to her as well. It was a fun night. Manny and Kaitlin came as well. I excused myself to the bathroom and sighed, finding one last pregnancy test in a nearly empty box. I decided on taking it. I sighed and put the test away for now, deciding not to think about it and just avoid the wine going around at dinner, just in case.