Chapter 18

I sat in the pack hospital on the patient bed with a thin patient robe on. They had to give me fluids and some food in my system. Along with some other doctorate things. Even though I was in pretty bad shape, all I could think about was Iris and if she was awake. If she was feeling better. Her room was right next to mine. Mason has been switching back and forth between rooms to keep an eye on us both. Right now he was going to get a coffee for himself. We had been here for about six hours with all the testing and fluids and other things. I didn't care, I wanted Aaron and Iris in my arms.
       Aaron wasn't allowed in my room until I was tested for everything. I understood, but I still just wanted him with me now. I laid back and Mason stood up, looking down at me. He smiled a small, crooked smile and put his hand on the nape of my neck, rubbing slowly.
       "She's going to be alright." He soothed.
       "And what if she isn't? She got out of the car to protect me. I should have protected them, not the other way around. If anything happens to her... I..." I couldn't say anymore.
       I covered my eyes and cried into my hands. Mason lifted me into a sitting position and held me for what seemed like hours until my room door opened. I didn't look up until Mason and I were addressed. I didn't want to look up.
      "Yes?" Mason answered.
      "We have Iris's results back from the lab." The doctor told us.
      I was at attention now and listening closely.
      "And?" I pressed.
       The doctor looked down at her clipboard and I clenched Mason's hand tighter.
        "Iris was weakened by the silver chains just like you, Luna. But because of her age and maturity for a wolf, it had a greater affect. She has gotten silver poisoning from the chains that were on her wrists through the duration of your capture...."
         I stopped listening when I heard the words 'silver poisoning'. That was almost the equivalent of cancer in the werewolf world. Except it's not like a switch that is just turned on like cancer and there is a higher survival rate but not by much. There is a cure with a success rate of 75%. Tears seeped from my eyes and blurred my vision. She would be in the hospital for months and if she did come out alive, her body would not be as strong as possible as she grows.
          They know immediately when silver poisoning is in a wolf because when the blood is put under a microscope, molecule sized pieces of silver are seen in the blood. Many cases aren't even discovered because of how small the silver particles in the blood are. She wouldn't be awake yet and I knew that now she would be in pain, even as she slept... Her bones would ache and her veins would feel too warm but she could do nothing about it. As if she were in a coma. I guess you could call it that.
        I covered my face and sobbed hysterically into my hands. Mason pulled me to his chest and tried to soothe me but all I could do was push and hit him. I didn't know why I did it, it wasn't his fault. I didn't know how else to react.
        "I'm sorry." The doctor said.
        "Your test results came back clean so you are free to go and see your pups and anyone else you like. Once that IV bag is empty, just ring the bell and someone will give you your discharge papers... We will do everything we can for Iris." The doctor left the room.
        I lifted myself out of my bed with Mason's help and refused the wheelchair he offered with a death glare. I was weak and quite small but I was not disabled. I entered Iris's room and more tears brimmed my eyes. Her wrists were purple with a silver tint. Under her eyes was purple and her fingernails seemed like they were deteriorating when my fingers skimmed them. She was pale, so pale, too pale. I didn't want to touch her too much because I knew it may cause her pain and she wouldn't be able to tell me to stop. I had caused her enough pain, I didn't want to cause more.
       "I love you, Iris." I whispered to her.
        I hoped she would connect with me through the mind link. I tried but she must have been too weak. Nothing came through. Mason moved her hair out of her face and looked closely at her. She was his little girl now. We're a family. And if we were to lose her... I have no idea what we would do.
       "Get better squirt... Don't leave us." I heard Mason whisper.
       I kissed her hand softly and wiped my tears. I leaned against Mason and kissed his shoulder, before relaxing against him.

      We left the hospital after a few hours of sitting in silence. I'm not sure what Mason was thinking but I had a blank mind, waiting for Iris to wake up. We arrived home and I looked at the big white house. I should have felt joy, but how could I when my pup was laying unconscious in a hospital bed. 

    "MOMMY!" I heard a little voice scream. 

    I smile for the first time in a long time and kneel, opening my arms for Aaron to jump into. I gave him the biggest hug I could manage and cried silently, holding him and rocking us slowly on the floor. 

    "Where's Iris?" He asked.

    A new bunch of tears swam down my cheeks and i sniffled. I pulled away from the hug reluctantly and told him about Iris. First, how brave she was and how she stuck it out. Then I told him about her silver poisoning. His little eyes widened and I saw the tears brim his eyes. Mason put his hand out for us to stand and we all hugged tightly. Aaron cried, clutching Mason's shirt and I stroked his hair, crying as well. 

    "She's gonna make it buddy. She's strong, you know that." Mason told Aaron.