chapter twenty-six

Start from the beginning

"Luke, we need to slow down." I giggle, giving him a gentle shove but not enough to put more than a few inches between us. "We're in public."

"Not into that?" he asks with a teasing grin, stealing one more peck before waving over Liz. "Thirsty?"

I nod my head, allowing him to order me the same thing he got me the first time he did it. "Thank you, Liz," I say when she sets the beer bottle on the bar in front of me. She shoots me a warm smile before crossing to the other side of the room as I turn my attention back to Luke. "You were really good tonight."

"Got a new fan?"

I nudge his shoulder with my hand. "I've always been a fan."

"If I recall correctly, a few months ago I was your worse nightmare."

"A few months ago, I thought you were nothing more than a player," I say as I dig his fingers into his shirt. "Now I know you're sweet, and caring, and amazing."

"Amazing?" he asks teasingly before pressing his lips to my cheek. "You're pretty amazing, too, 4A," he says before his eyes dart to my book. "How's your book?"

"It's good," I say before falling into a full on rant about the love story lost too soon. A smile creeps onto his lips as he listens to me ramble. "Sorry," I say with a shy smile. "I keep doing that, don't I?"

He shakes his head. "I like seeing you like this."

"Like what?"

"Not caring," he says. "When I first met you, you walked around carrying the weight of everyone's expectations on your shoulders," he explains as his hands move up to my shoulders, pressing his fingers gently into my collarbone. "You're a lot freer now."

"Yeah, well, I decided the only opinion that matters is my own," I tell him and reach for the beer bottle, taking a sip. "And maybe I care about yours a little."

"You shouldn't," he says. "My opinion doesn't matter. You're incredible without it."

I hum as I consider his words before grinning. "You're right."

"Nerd."

I scrunch my nose up at him as a throat is cleared behind me, earning our attention as I twist in my seat to look at him as Luke's hand moves to my thigh. He brushes his thumb over the denim fabric as we look toward the sound. An older gentlemen, likely in his early to late forties with salt and pepper sprinkled through his dark brown hair. His eyes are gentle, yet hungry. Fully ready to command the room if necessary.

"Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt," he says as he slides off the bar stool and stands tall as he extends his hand outward. "Vince Germain."

Luke narrows his eyes at his hand, but still accepts it. "Luke Alexander."

"You even got the name to go with the rock star persona," he says before extending his hand out to me. I look to Luke for a second before resting my hand in his, his handshake firm, but not in a way meant to intimidate you. It's confident without being cocky.

"Emery," I say with a small smile. "Have we met before?"

"We haven't," he says. "I actually came here tonight hoping I'd get a chance to talk to you, Luke," he explains as he reaches into the back pocket of his jeans. He pulls out his wallet and offers Luke a small card. "You've been making a lot of the noise in the New York area and after seeing a video of your band online, I had to come check you out myself."

I glance at Luke who turns the business card allowing me to the see the front with Vince's name and his title of talent scout written in italics underneath. Immediately, my heart begins to race as we both shift our attention back to Vince.

"I work for a record label out in L.A. and we host a showcase of sorts each year to celebrate the New Year and bright new artists. I know it's short notice, but I think you're exactly what we're looking for and I want to invite you out to join us this year."

"You're serious?" Luke asks, his eyes wide with surprise.

He nods. "I've got a private jet heading out tomorrow night with your name on it, so talk it over with your boys and give me a call if you're interested."

Luke nods because I'm not sure he's able to do much else.

"I look forward to hearing from you, Luke," he says, nodding his head in my direction before turning and leaving us in the quiet silence of awe.

I shift back in my seat, turning towards him and the frozen expression on his face. "Luke?" I say his name softly, hoping to gain his attention back. "Luke," I say again, this time with a little more force as I reach my hands up to rest on his cheeks. "Deep breath."

"Did that just happen?" he asks, finally lifting his gaze to meet mine.

I break out into a grin. "I think that just happened."

"Holy shit." He exhales the word as he leans forward, pressing his forehead to mine. "Holy shit," he says again, this time a little more excited as he wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me off my seat as he turns.

A squeal falls from my lips as I wrap my arms around his shoulder, hanging onto him as he sets me back on my feet and finds my lips. I grin into the smile as he moves his hands to my cheeks, pulling away with the same look of joy that fills a kids eyes on Christmas morning.

"You have to come with me."

My eyes widen. "You want me to come?"

"Of course, I do," he says. "I need you there with me, 4A."

"Luke, I don't know..." I trail off. "You'll be so busy and I don't want to be a distraction, and there's work, too and..."

He cuts me off before I can continue. "You aren't a distraction," he says and moves his hands down to my waist. "I want you there. You're off until the new year, right? Just come with me, and I promise I'll have you home before you need to get back to work."

"Okay."

He grins. "Okay?"

"Okay," I say with a little more excitement as he wraps his arms back around my waist, lifting me off his feet. I laugh as I wrap my arms around his shoulders, pulling my legs up to wrap around his waist as he hangs onto me tightly.

The excitement of something life changing settling in.