chapter three

I TRY TO get back into the pages of this manuscript, fully ready to finish reading it tonight, but between the minimal lighting and the repetition of the same three notes coming from Luke's guitar, I can't seem to focus. My head throbbing as I squeeze my eyes shut and lean back into the armchair, hoping to ease some of the tension between my eyes.

"Finally decided there are better things to do in the dark?" Luke hums when he notices me clip the pages back together, momentarily pausing his strumming.

"No, I have a headache," I say. "No thanks to you."

"Me? What did I do?"

"Aside from the fact that you've been playing the same three notes for the last hour and a half?" I ask.

"Four," he corrects with a sarcastic smile. "I'm so sorry that my writer's block is bothering you and your precious reading, 4A."

I roll my eyes and say, "No, you aren't."

"Yeah, you're right," he says. "But I got to at least pretend, right?"

"You can be so irritating sometimes, you know that?" I say, but before he can say anything, the sound of footsteps in the hall interrupts us. "Oh, thank God," I say, jumping up from my spot on the floor before sprinting for Luke's door. "Maggie!" I say excitedly as I pull the door open, only for my face to fall. "Charlie?"

"Em, baby!" His voice is smooth and sultry as he turns towards Luke's apartment. The air suddenly feeling toxic as I take in his sweatpants and hoodie, a rare siting from his usual suit and tie. "What are you doing?"

I swallow. "I could ask you the same thing. What are you doing here?"

"I came to check on you," he says, smiling as he steps towards me. "You always were afraid of the dark, baby."

"She doesn't look afraid to me," Luke says, his presence suddenly looming over me as he stops behind me in the doorway. My chest tightening as I step back into him, a shiver running over my skin as my back touches his chest for a brief second.

"Who's this supposed to be?" Charlie asks, completely ignoring Luke to focus on me.

"It's not important," I say. "It doesn't change the fact that it's the truth, and even if it weren't, it still doesn't explain why you're here. You aren't my boyfriend anymore, Charlie. We aren't together, and you don't need to be here right now."

"Baby." He frowns.

"Stop it," I say, putting my hand up. "Go home."

He narrows his eyes at me possessively. "Why aren't you in your apartment?"

"It's none of your business."

"Emery," he says, meeting my gaze.

"Go to hell," I mutter and turn back into Luke's apartment, brushing his chest as I walk towards the couch, irritated and annoyed. If I thought I'd be seeing my ex-boyfriend when I opened the door, I never would have moved from the floor.

"This isn't you, baby!" Charlie calls out, stepping forward again only for Luke to show his true size and block his way. For a moment, I'm eager to have Luke on my side until I remember exactly who he is in the light. The person I desperately wish to spend as little time with as possible. Though, in this very second, Charlie's at the top of that list.

"Tell that to your receptionist," I say as I settle on the couch cushion. Luke snickers as he shuts the door in Charlie's face, turning the lock for good measure before turning to face me. "Don't," I mutter as I sink down, hiding my face in the palm of my hands. "I really don't want to hear whatever it is you're about to say."