(Summer Ending) Chapter XIX: Soldier of Light

Over the next few months you were able to repair your relationship with your old friends. Tai was the first to come around. Even after all these years he was still your best friend, and a few months later, he was your best man. Qrow took a bit longer to convince, but Tai managed to help. He tricked Qrow into meeting with you by inviting him out for drinks, coincidentally forgetting to mention you'd be there. Under influence of alcohol, the two of you managed to forget the past and look to the future. Raven was the hardest to win over. She was livid that you tried to kill her family, especially Yang. Summer, Tai, and Qrow all tried to fight for your cause, but no amount of vouching had any impact. She was furious with you and Summer when she discovered Summer was pregnant with your child, and even angrier upon discovering you and Summer were to be wed. It wasn't until you saved a nine-month-old Yang from a particularly fierce pack of Beowolves did Raven finally begin to change her mind. It was a slow process, and things were still far from fine, but your relationship was repaired enough to the point where she agreed to be Summer's maid of honor.

Summer was three months pregnant when the two of you got married, the bump just starting to show. It was a small event; only close friends were present. It was a beautiful outdoor wedding, held in the middle of April. A fifteen-month-old Yang acted as your flower girl, though she became distracted by a butterfly and began chasing it instead until her mother helped her down the rest of the aisle. Professor Ozpin acted as the officiator, and a handful of other Beacon professors were present as well, including your old classmate, Glynda Goodwitch.

The next six months were absolute bliss. You had never been happier in your life. You had worked hard repaying for all your past sins; rebuilding villages you had destroyed and providing them with protection. You had your friends back by your side and even made a few new ones. Best of all was your wife, Summer Rose, and your soon to be daughter. Summer was due to deliver in the next few weeks and you couldn't be more excited. The two of you had yet to choose a name for your soon to be baby girl. You were particularly fond of the name Autumn, but Summer thought having two seasons in one family was a bit much, and instead wanted to name her Ruby. You thought that name was even more corny, but deep down you new that if Summer wanted to name your daughter Ruby, that your daughter would be named Ruby.

Despite the pure joy of the past year, there was still one problem. One extremely significant problem. Salem. Her presence lingered in the back of your mind for the past nine months like some distant storm cloud looming on the horizon. You knew she was coming for you. You didn't know when, but you knew it would happen. And now with a child on the way, you had never had more to lose. As a husband and a father, it was your duty to ensure your family was safe, and so long as Salem was alive, they would always be in danger. This had to change. If you allowed your daughter to be born into a world where evil such as Salem was allowed to live, you had already failed as a father.

You awoke early one Saturday morning. Removing Summer's arm from around your shoulders, you slowly got out of bed. Summer's hand searched for you in her sleep. Moving to the closet you donned your best white suit. Kissing Summer on the forehead and stomach, you exited the bedroom. Grabbing your white trench coat from the coat rack that also housed Summer's white cloak, you left your house, closing the door softly behind you.

With one final look at your home, you disappeared in a swirl of white fabric as you turned on the spot and sped towards Salem's fortress at light speed. Slowing down as you approach the castle, flying with your stomach low to the ground, the doors open for you as you get close. The way to Salem's throne room is still ingrained in your memory, something you're both disgusted and ashamed by. The doors to the throne room open, Watts and Tyrian standing on either side of the entrance, Hazel sitting in his chair. Salem stands looking out the window, hands folded behind her back.