22 | Unpredictable

Start from the beginning

"She feels like everyone's against her?"

"Exactly." He hand reached towards her eyes and wiped a tear. She'd done it so discretely that I knew she didn't want the action to be caught, so I removed my eyes from her in the mirror and didn't mention it. "Who else? Ah, loads of people that'll be pouncing on you," she forced a laugh. "They'll be wanting to know the entirety of your family tree."

"Good luck to them with that."

"Come on," she said, spinning me around to face her. "Let's get your make up done, make you look even more beautiful." She grinned at me and despite everything that had just come to light, I couldn't help but grin back, blushing profusely.

***

We'd gone— and when I say 'we,' I mean Autumn— with a simple, but elegant look for the night. She'd picked a earthy-brown colour with an overlay of gold, and a beige lip. The foundation was light, but I felt the urge to scratch. Each time I made to, I'd receive a sharp slap from the artist of the work I'd destroy if I did manage the action.

"Sorry," I said, shaking my now red hand. "Honestly, you slap so hard. I pity the poor guy that gets a slap from you."

She finished off her own make up, shrugging. "They would've deserved it."

While she put on her own dress, asking me to zip her up in the beige material, I remained in a robe she'd brought for me. It clung to her in all the right places, accentuating her model-like figure expertly. The slit down the side made, accompanied by the tall heels she wore, her legs look even longer than they already were. She looked like a goddess. With a final spritz of perfume, she declared herself ready.

She glanced at her watch, looking stressed once again. Just as she was about to complain about Archer taking too long, there was a knock on the door. It wasn't Archer, however, but Robert with a dress clothed in a velvet bag. He handed it over and I was promptly directed to the long mirror.

She discarded the bag and lay it on the bed, revealing one of the most beautiful dresses I'd ever seen.

Like I'd done for her, Autumn assisted me in shimmying the material up my body. The black dress was quite low cut, but tastefully done. It gave me the waist I didn't know I had and made my figure, as a whole, not look quite so rectangular, but instead deceived the eye into believing it to be hourglass in shape. Too busy letting the material slide through my fingers, I hardly registered Autumn decorating me in jewellery. I reached for my mother's ring, but she put up a fair argument— that being it would clash with the emeralds in my ears and those adorning my neck.

I gulped at myself. With every move, the light captured the jewels, making me look like I actually glowed. That's new, I thought.

A second knock broke me from my stare off with the more-expensive-than-what-my-life-is-worth jewellery. Autumn scurried to open it.

Holy man.