He abruptly hung up, and I was left in a distraught trance.  As much as I want to bring Elena home to her dad because it’s the right thing to do, I can’t help but feel like nothing will change.  I can’t just let Elena walk back to her mother just because her father is suddenly home and claims he can fix everything.  What can he really do?  He was given a leave of absence because his health is slowly declining from some disease he acquired out in the middle of nowhere.  How can I let Elena go back just to hear more sad news?  It would just damage her even more.

But he promised he would keep her safe.  I’ve never met the man, but if he’s as good as Elena speaks of him, he must know best.  But I don’t think I can ever get this awful feeling out of me until I know for sure that Elena’s mother won’t cause her harm ever again.  I just can’t stand it, not having Elena around.  I can’t stand the thought of her being in another town, not being with me every day.  I won’t know how she’s doing, or what’s happening to her.  I won’t have her soft cheeks to kiss to make her blush, or her long arms to wrap around me when she’s feeling sad. I won’t have her long, beautiful hair to play with when everything seems calm for a second, when we’re both just sitting there, together.  I won’t have the comfort of her beautiful brown eyes, looking into mine with perhaps more emotion than she’s ever had before.

Suddenly, it didn’t matter anymore.  I had to tell Elena the truth, and find a way to get her to stay with me.  I may be selfish, and stupid, but I think that I really freaking love her.

“Elena?” I knocked on the door.

“Come in,” she called.

I opened the door to find her packing her bags, slowly moving around the room, attempting to cope with her injuries.  

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“What does it look like?  I’m going away,” she said angrily.

“But...why?  Where?” I asked, feeling very confused and a little betrayed.

“We both know I’m just not good here.  I need to go somewhere else, somewhere I can think clearly,” she said.

“Elena, you won’t be able to think clearly no matter where you are!” I replied.

“Then why should I stay with you if it’s like that?” she asked, glaring at me.

“Because I need you!” I shouted.  Why doesn’t she get it?  Why can’t she understand?  

“That’s bull.  You’re better off without me.  No matter what you tell my dad,” she said.  She was now facing me full on, forgetting all about packing her things.  She was glaring at me, but at the same time, it’s like her eyes were empty.

“What do you mean?” I asked nervously.

“I overheard your conversation when I was in the kitchen.  Someone forgot to close a window,” she explained, putting her hands on her hips.