Episode 28: Prom Night

Prom Night

          "If you knew his name, then why didn't you inform me?" Hirigazawa asked Dr. Wagner.

          "I have... use for the child.  His death would be most unfortunate for my research,"  Wagner explained.

          "Then why tell me now?"  Hirigazawa asked.

          "My last effort to reacquire Mr. Rodgers resulted in my utter defeat.  However, I was able to eliminate his guardian.  He should be vulnerable now.  However, I do not know where he is and could use the manpower of the Yakuza to track him down," 

          "And if he is 'accidently' killed during this search, how would you feel?" 

          Wagner's eyes narrowed menacingly.  "As I said... it would be most unfortunate for my research."

          Things had become awkward in the Patterson household since the "family meeting" held over a week ago.  The family dinners that had been frequent no longer happened.  Celine barely spoke to Cid, preferring to spend time in her room instead.  Mr and Mrs. Patterson made small talk, but the tension was obvious.  He couldn't help but imagine how much better off they would be without him and the constant danger his life put them in. 

          But he had to put those thoughts out of his mind.  Prom was this evening and he still had to figure out some things.  Luna had said yes (being homeschooled would prevent her from going to a prom, so she had decided to treat this one as her own), but there were still other errands for him to run.

          He had grabbed his things and was headed for the door when Sgt. Patterson stopped him in his tracks.

          "Where are you going?"

          "I've got some errands to run before this evening,"

          "I'll give you a ride.  Let's go,"

          It had become commonplace for Sgt. Patterson to give Cid a ride to most of his destinations.  This was as much to keep him safe as it was to keep him from his "extra-curricular activities".  Cid casually waved to the squad car parked outside the house as they made their way to the car.  A squad car was always parked outside the Pattersons, as well as Ronnie's house.  He had also been informed that there was also a guard stationed at the hospital where King was staying. 

          All this protection, but will it really matter if the Yakuza strike? He asked himself as he entered the car.  He had gone up against the Yakuza and the cops, and if he had to choose which group he would not want to cross again, the Yakuza would be at the top of his list.

          He hadn't been on the streets as Iblis in weeks.  He felt out of touch with the Crystal Springs underworld.  If the Yakuza made a move, he would not even see it coming.  The thought made him very uneasy.

          His errands had consisted of picking up the corsage for Luna, finding a purple shirt (Luna had decided that they should wear purple), getting his hair cut, and picking up his tuxedo from the cleaners.  He ultimately felt like he had done a solid job of preparing, considering the fact that he had only had two weeks to do so.

          He was more worried about Luna than himself.  She had been given less than two weeks to prepare.  She hadn't been too happy about the last minute notice, but she said she would try to work something out.  I guess I'll find out tonight, Cid told himself as he hopped back into Sgt. Patterson's car.