Chapter Twenty-nine: Taking Care of Maddie

Începe de la început

She watched Terry as he sat behind the wheel, looking nice and handsome, and wondered how was the best way to get what she wanted.

* * * *

The fact Izzy had been looking after him and Maddie, came as a great relief to Terry. The saleswoman had said something about prongs, but--

Why was Maddie looking at him that way?

He adjusted his seat belt and concentrated on the road. After about two miles, he checked again, and groaned when he found her still watching.

"Maddie, would you knock it off?"

"Knock what off?"

"Whatever it is you're doing."

"I'm not doing anything."

Yes, she was, and he found it pleasantly distracting. That was the problem.

"Terry?"

He shook his head, half laughed, and half smiled at the way she said his name. "Yes, Maddie?"

"If I asked for something, would you say 'yes,' even if I don't tell you why?"

"That would depend."

"On what?"

"On whatever it is you want."

She sighed, looked down at her feet and Terry thought she'd given up.

"Terry?"

"Yes, Maddie?"

"If you loved me, would you give me anything I asked?"

"If you want something, Maddie, just come out and ask and I'll see what I can do. You don't have to beg."

"I want scissors."

"Scissors?"

"Please don't ask why, Terry."

"This wouldn't be to hurt yourself, would it?"

"Oh, no."

"Then why?"

"Please, Terry, I just asked you not to ask."

"I don't know." Terry shook his head. "I just spent thirteen thousand dollars, plus tax, then I had to pay for lunch, and now she wants scissors. What next? Glue? I don't know what the world is coming to, I really don't."

"You're making fun of me."

"I'm only teasing, Maddie, I'm only teasing."

"So can I have the scissors?"

"Do you mind if it's the kiddie-safe ones the triplets use?"

"I don't mind."

"Then you can have the scissors."

He slid her a look, saw her smile, a sweet parting of her lips that made his heart thump to a crazy-happy beat.

"Thank you, Terry."

His breath caught a little, he smiled, and it took effort to keep breathing. He turned on the radio, kept the volume low for Izzy's sake, and tried to work up an interest for the agriculture report. In the seat next to him, Maddie turned to look behind her, made some noise with a grocery bag and Terry switched the radio to something else.

He sped up a little, still keeping the limit but pushing to get home. Maddie, it seemed, was eager to get into her bags, and Izzy needed to go to bed. So did Maddie, for that matter.

"Maddie, are you hurting your stitches?"

She straightened in her seat and looked at him. "If I ask you to promise something, would you do it?"