Oneshot (4)

The recovery process for Mitch after he was saved. Mitch is 16, Scott is 17.

I know it isn't talked about much, so if you need a refresher, it's in chapter 4.

***

"Is he going to be okay?" Scott asks the doctors when Mitch gets out of surgery.

"Physically, yes. Where are his parents?"

"They're in another country. Mitch was staying with me. They're trying to get back now, but there's a big storm."

"When he wakes up, he's either going to be scared of you or never want to be away from you. Seeing as his abuser was a female, my guess would be the latter."

"I'll keep that in mind. What about his injuries?"

"It looks like he hit his head against a wall at some point. It wasn't enough for serious brain damage, but he does have a concussion."

"Sorry to interrupt, but she drowned him when he was there. That didn't cause any brain damage, did it?"

"No. She seemed to be smart enough to know when to pull him out of the water. He hasn't eaten in a few days, and the only water he got was during the time he was under water. He has a tube that's feeding him and keeping him hydrated for now. When he wakes up, he is going to be very weak. He was only there for a little over a week, but she did so much to him that it looks as if he were there for months."

"Will he need physical therapy?"

"Most likely, yes. He, again, is very weak, so the physical therapy will help him gain that strength back."

"So when he tries to walk again, will it hurt him?"

"Most likely."

"Because he's so weak? Then why wouldn't we wait longer?"

"It would be too risky to wait any longer in case he can't walk."

"Okay. Thank you, Doctor."

"Of course. If you want to follow me, I can take you to his room." The doctor leads Scott to a room and leaves him with Mitch. Scott inhales sharply when he sees Mitch.

"Mitchy..." Scott whispers, sitting next to the bed and holding his boyfriend's hand. "I'm so sorry she did this to you, baby." Scott zones out while looking at their hands, so he doesn't notice when Mitch opens his eyes until Mitch jerks his hand away with a fearful look on his face. Scott stays sitting, but moves himself and the chair back with his hands up in surrender.

"It's just me, Mitchy. I'm not going to hurt you." Mitch tears up as he realizes who it is, and he reaches out for him.

"I'm scared."

"I know. What can I do?"

"Hold me." Scott carefully picks Mitch up, sits on the bed, and puts Mitch on his lap, where the brunette curls into his chest. Mitch slowly relaxes as Scott wraps his arms around him.

"Will you sing, please?" Mitch asks quietly. Scott thinks for a few seconds before he starts.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me and love another
You'll regret it all some day

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away."

"You have a really nice voice."

"Thank you, baby."

"I'm cold." Scott pulls the blanket up to Mitch's shoulders.

The next day, they decide to see if Mitch is able to walk or if they have to work on it.

The physical therapist walks in, and Mitch flinches as soon as he sees her. She assumes she just startled him, so she doesn't think anything of it until he cowers away from her.

"Please, don't hurt me."

She walks closer, "Mitch, I'm not going to hurt you."

"Don't come near me!"

"Mitch—" She tries to put a hand on his arm, only to have him jump away.

"Get out! Scott! Help!" Scott runs into the room.

"What happened?"

"Make her leave."

Scott looks at her, "Can you please go?"

"Yeah." She leaves and closes the door behind her. Scott looks at Mitch, who is shaking and in tears. He quickly walks over and catches Mitch when he nearly jumps out of the bed and onto Scott.

"It's okay, Mitchy. She can't hurt you anymore."

"Can't you just help me?"

"I can try. Let's try walking now, I guess."

"I don't really want to now."

"Baby, the sooner we do this, the sooner you'll get better."

"Will it hurt?"

"It probably will. Don't be scared, it'll be okay." Scott steps back and holds his hands out for Mitch, who hesitantly holds onto them and stands up.

"Ow..."

"Take your time."

"I wanna sit back down."

"They said you have to walk today."

"I didn't think it'd be this fucking hard."

"Just a few steps." Scott starts to step back a little and Mitch steps forward.

"Do you enjoy watching my pain?"

"No, I hate this with a passion."

"Then stop, you prick!"

"To the chair."

"I'm going to beat your ass."

"Do it after we're done."

"Scott Richard Hoying, I swear to God."

"Oh, don't do that." Scott turns around and lets Mitch sit on the chair.

"See? That wasn't too bad."

Mitch glares up at him and smacks his arm.

"I deserved that." Mitch hits his arm again, "And that." Mitch goes for Scott's lower region and Scott jumps away, "Uh, maybe not there."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I know it's really hard."

"You're not mad?"

"No, baby boy, I promise you I'm not mad."

***