9

Six months have past and Blake still hasn't woken up. By this time, they transferred him back to be in a hospital back in California and the family is running out of hope.

"How was school, Lae?"

"Same as usual. Where's Dad?"

"With Avi."

"Can Riley come over? I miss them." Riley is Laine's partner, who is gender fluid. They're in the grade above Laine and the two have been dating for a little over five months.

"Sure, didn't you see them at school?"

"No, they went to the farm show."

"Ohh okay. Yeah, I don't mind if they come over. Dad texted me saying he'll be home in a few minutes, I think Avi's staying for dinner." Laine quickly texts Riley, who tells her they'll be there soon.

"I haven't seen Avi in so long, I'm excited. Also, it's a homework free weekend, the teachers aren't allowed to give us homework."

"That should be every weekend."

"I agree."

Scott and Avi walk into the house, "Hey, it's just me Avi."

"And me, you selfish ass."

"Shut up." They go into the living room and Mitch pecks Scott's lips before hugging Avi and following Scott after he motions Mitch into their room.

"Hey, kiddo." Avi plops down on the couch.

"Hey, Dragon Dude."

"Scott told me you memorized all the parts of the brain and spine."

"I did. I don't know if I'll continue psychology, I might go into neuro to be a neurosurgeon."

"See, that sounds just as cool as what you wanted to do before. My job is lame."

"You're unemployed."

"Exactly."

"Because you were in a band with Kevin and made millions of dollars."

"That's besides the point."

"Is it?"

"Stop that."

Laine laughs, "Stop what?"

Meanwhile...

"You're worried about Laine, I can see it. But what about you, love?"

Mitch looks up at Scott, "What about me?"

"Do you need to talk to somebody?"

Mitch runs a hand up and down his arm, a habit he has when he's unsure, "I don't think so.. I just need him to wake up."

They talk a little while longer and go back into the living room to see Riley also walking in wearing a shirt that says 'If you think I'm cute, you should see my girlfriend.'

"I love that shirt." Mitch comments as they all sit down.

Riley sits next to Laine, "Thanks, I ordered it a few weeks ago and it finally got here today." Laine looks at the necklace Riley is wearing and sees it's the pink one.

When they first became close, Laine got Riley three necklaces: A blue, a pink, and a green. The blue is for the days Riley feels more masculine and identifies as a boy. Pink is for more feminine days and Riley identifies as a girl. The green is for days where Riley feels like neither a boy nor girl, green is for the the days Riley feels more non binary.

As said earlier, Riley is wearing pink, indicating to use she/her pronouns.

That's Riley^^

That's Riley^^

"Av, can I do your hair?" Laine asks after a few minutes.

"Why?"

"It's long as hell and it's pretty."

"Fine. Don't hurt me."

"Yeah, because I'm so big and tough like my mother."

"Hey!" Mitch fakes offense

"Oh please, we all know you like being tiny." Scott chimes in.

"Yeah, otherwise you wouldn't need this giant." Avi tells him.

Mitch's phone rings before anyone can say anything, "Hello?... Yes, this is he... Okay, thank you. We'll be right there." He hangs up and looks at the rest of them, "It was the hospital."

"What did they say?"

"Just to get there quickly. They sounded busy." They all get in the car and go to the hospital.

"Grassi-Hoying?" They hear the doctor call out after a few minutes of waiting.

"That's us. Is Blake okay?"

"Follow me, please."

They all get up and are lead to a room where they see Blake on a bed.

"Bake, oh my—! You're alive!" Laine goes up to Blake and hugs him.

"I know, I'm awesome." He scoots over so Laine can sit with him.

"Thank god." Mitch hugs Blake as tears run down his face, Scott doing the same after Mitch pulls away.

"We're... not in Hawaii?"

"We left months ago." Mitch tells him.

"How long was I out?"

"A little over six months. They also charged the person with a hit and run."

"Who was it?"

Mitch sighs, "Rachel's cousin. Her cousin said that Rachel put him up to it. Rachel was charged as an accessory."

"When can I leave?"

The doctor steps forward, "Blake, most of your injuries have healed, but you'll need to stay a little bit longer. Just so we can make sure you won't seize again, and to make sure there's no brain damage."

"Okay. Thank you, Doctor."

***

Finally I updated, sorry for taking so damn long omg.

Also, if the way I described being gender fluid wasn't accurate, please PM me and I'll fix it. I'm still learning and I want it to seem accurate and real.

If you're gender fluid and you'd like to tell me something about it that would be important to Riley's character, please PM me.

Okay, goodbye now