I was holding back my laughter, as was Dana, while Marissa didn’t even try. Next thing you know, Floyd comes running into the room. “Piglet attacks who he wants to attack! I only put his food in your hair because you fell asleep on my couch!”

He went to run away but decided he had more to say. “And Taco Bell does that to me, okay? I can’t help it!”

“We didn’t even have Taco Bell that one time!” Elizabeth exclaimed as he ran out of the room.

<<>><<>>

“See you guys later!” Marissa and I said from the porch as Dana, Floyd, and Elizabeth left the house. The three of them waved at us as they got into their cars. Floyd opened the door for Elizabeth before slamming it shut when she reached it. He cackled as he made his way to the driver’s side door while she grumpily opened the door for herself.

Marissa closed the door and grinned at me. “Now, you go and have your little guitar lesson. I’m going to call Eric.”

“Tell him I said hello,” I muttered as I nervously made my way up the stairs. She dropped on the couch and took her phone out. I reached Noah’s door and knocked quietly, hoping he fell asleep so I can go home and avoid the awkward conversation ahead. He opened the door and, barely a second later, Lukas popped his head from his study down the hall.

“Leave the door open!” he called, making things ten times more awkward.

“We will!” I sheepishly called back, internally cringing. Noah ushered me into the room, leaving the door open just a crack.

“Actually open the door, Noah!” Lukas called. Noah groaned and opened the door halfway. “Nope, I want the doorknob touching the wall!”

Noah opened the door all the way and glanced out at Lukas. “Better?”

“Yes, thank you. And leave it like that!” he responded. My face was burning red. Lukas told me before that it’s not me he doesn’t trust, but it’s his son. Personally, I feel like it’s me he shouldn’t trust. Noah’s very gentlemanly- as you can see by the way he doesn’t kiss me as often as I would like. He kisses me when it’s appropriate- when we first see each other at the beginning of the day and when we leave- never any ‘I just felt like kissing you’ kisses.

At least Lukas isn’t as blunt as Ethel, though. Last time, she would constantly walk by the room and Noah, being the sassy guy he is, asked her to stop so we can have some privacy, to which she responded -and I quote- “Privacy leads to pregnancy”. I obviously excused myself from that situation and went home where I died of embarrassment. Noah apologized several times for that, saying that he can’t control the witch’s actions.

My guitar was resting against Noah’s bed, where I left it earlier. I walked over to grab it, praying that Noah doesn’t bring up what he heard me saying until I’m about to leave, but no, Noah isn’t like that. “So?”

“So?” I repeated, keeping my back facing Noah. Why did I have to go and say that when Noah was in the house? I could’ve told the girls over the phone, or at my house, or not at all.

“About—,” he began but I quickly cut him off with my rambling.

“I’m sorry about what I said in Marissa’s room. I meant it, yeah, but I should’ve brought it up to you personally, or at least dropped hints. I’m sorry, I feel terrible about it,” I apologized, taking in a large breath to start again but he placed his finger on my mouth. Kissing me would’ve shut me up.

“It’s fine,” he told me.

“So you’re not mad?” I asked him, speaking against his finger.