LI- Imagine being an Easterling and saving Legolas

Start from the beginning

On the thirteenth sunrise, your chant was interrupted by the milling of people around camp. The same commotion occurred every time the warriors returned. When families were once more reunited. You ended your chanting short with a grateful note.

You knew immediately something was different as the young warriors set foot on the camp and cheered loudly, pumping their spear enclosed fists to the air. When most of the crowd had rushed through the metal gates, you finally saw their source of excitement. One of the commanders dragged a pathetic form. The person, man or woman, had hair as gold as sand and skin as white as day. Both ruined with remnants of dried blood. When you took notice of the person's ears, which ended in a point similar to yours, your heart felt as if it had fallen down to the floor.

You began walking toward the Chieftain's tent before the commander could drag the prisoner past you. The gesture was pointless. The Chieftain was already walking to meet the captive.

The Chieftain was a sight no one would ever get used to. He was a colossal man with olive skin and muscles taut and large. His attire consisted of nothing but loose-fitting trousers and leather foot wraps. Never once was his hair loosely kept, it fell in a long plait that reached his hips. Half of his upper face was painted with black coal, making him appear harsher.

"The Elven Princelin' of Mirkwood," he began. His guttural voice was enough to make the hairs on your neck stand but his voice was not the reason why your stomach felt pained or why you had trouble inhaling. The title Elven Princelin' rattled in your head.

The Chieftain grabbed a fistful of the prisoner's silky hair and pulled so hard you thought for sure he would break his neck right then. You had no indication of how old you were but in the years you had lived and many people you had met, you had never seen a person as fair as the elf-man that would surely be killed. His dull blue eyes, that you knew some time must have had light in them, looked with misery upon the Chieftain. In turn, the colossal man cheered a sound that increased in octaves.

Something otherworldly seemed to have taken over your body as you spewed out, "Chieftain— if yuh value the lives of everyone in camp yuh will release this elf or yuh will surely bring death upon us by his people," you warned. "The ancestors cannot help us now." You did not expect him to agree when you said those words but you also did not expect him to laugh directly at your warning. Hearing his laughter, the camp followed suit. You gulped where you stood as you looked at the captive. His eyes were focused on you. Something about the way he looked at you made you feel as if he could hear exactly what you were thinking.

"She is one of his people!" said someone from the crowd.

"She only wants ter protect one of her own!" yelled another.

A reply was on the tip of your tongue however one of The Elders clasped their hand around your shoulder. With a warning look, he dragged you away from the crowd. The last thing you saw was the Chieftain swinging his fist toward the Prince.

It never rained in Rhûn but when it did, something bad always followed. The sound of rain startled you as you lay in your tent at night with eyes alert and restless. The ancestors were angry, that much you knew. You were only hoping that this warning was enough for the people to understand that holding the Prince captive was a death sentence. If they did not release the prisoner, dare you to say that you would? These thoughts clouded your mind as the moon fell and the sun began to rise. Come dawn, the rain continued to pour.

Your robe became instantly soaked as you stepped outside. The mud beneath your feet sloshed about you as you walked to the center of camp as quietly as possible. No noise escaped the tents you passed and you silently thanked the ancestors. As you had suspected, the Prince had been placed in the middle for all to see. His hands were tied on a pole behind him and he leaned heavily against it for support. He had been left there all night. If it had been a regular man or otherwise, you would have been more concerned. Though you took comfort in the knowledge that he would not die from something as simple as soaking through the night in cold water.