Chapter Ten: Vigilante

Start from the beginning

He took a deep breath and started running.

He reached the ledge of the building and leapt.

He only fell for a few seconds in the air before he shot out his right arm, his hand becoming enveloped in a misty green light as the vine around his arm unraveled in the blink of an eye, before shooting through the air towards the building that he had been eying before, the lasso-like vine curling around a sturdy looking antenna jutting out from it.

He fell for a mere seconds longer before the vine was pulled taut, and Rob's freefall turned into him swinging through the air in a large arch as he gripped the vine with his right hand.

He winced visibly as he felt the vine in his arm being yanked tight as he swung, but it only lasted for a second before Rob tightened his grip on the knife in his left hand, as he approached the top of his swinging arch. He sliced the knife through the middle of the vine as he reached the peak of the arch, and as Rob was partially cut loose from the vine; his momentum sending him flying into the air, where he quickly angled his body towards another building, the vine once again shooting out to an incredible length in a mere second to wrap around a railing as he was once again pulled into another powerful swing, allowing him to easily traverse the streets.

He continued to swing across the buildings in a way that screamed 'finesse' as his scarf and the flowing end of his coat whipped around in the air, while he smiled at the exhilaration of the wind against his face as he tore through the sky. He continued at a pace that would make most other men consider switching from a black trench coat to red and blue spandex, knowing that a single mistake could send him to his death, yet carrying confidence in his movements.

It only took a few minutes for him to reach the bank, and with a large swoop, Rob flipped himself onto a building right next to it, but landed rough enough to send him rolling onto the roof with a loud grunt, and he leapt to his feet, reaching up to tear his scarf away that had flown into his face with a defeated scowl. He had to admit... he wasn't the best at sticking his landings.

Rob didn't have even a second of relapse when he heard what sounded like a loud explosion from the direction of the bank, and indeed, when he had turned around to see, there was a massive hole blown into the side of the bank, smoke bellowing out of it. Moments later, a group of about eight people filtered out of the bank, each with one or two duffel bags each (presumably full of money) slung across their shoulders. They scrambled to two big work vans (The Mystery Machine kind, Rob noted), the cars roaring to life as they peeled out of the parking lot and into the streets.

Taking that as his cue, Rob leapt off of the building and swung to where the vans had fled, a determined look on his face as he tried to keep up with them.

The vans were slightly slowed by the late night traffic, but it still took a few minutes of chasing the cars for Rob to finally come within decent range of them, Rob began to aim his vine towards increasingly lower latching points, until he was only a few feet above the traffic. Knowing he would have to time his jump right, Rob waited a few moments, before slicing through his vine and launching himself towards the two doors on the back ends of one of the vans, and he let out a loud "Oof!" as he slammed into the back doors, hitting his shoulder hard on one of the windows as his feet scrambled to find ground on the van's footholds.

Peering inside of the van, Rob could see two in the front seats and two in the open space in the back among the money bags, who had yelled out in surprise when Rob smashed into the doors. One of the robbers reached into their back pocket, pulling out a menacing looking glock as he pointed it towards the window. With wide eyes, Rob's hand flew to one of the door handles, pulling on it and sending the two doors swinging open, with him still hanging onto one as it swung towards the sides of the van.