Chapter 11

Cassie sipped her tea slowly.  She tried to keep her tongue from burning.  It was a rather difficult process.

CASSIE?  A similar voice came out from behind her.

Cassie spun around, her heart skipping a beat.  A male teenager stood behind her.  He seemed to have forgotten to put on his glasses.  He had sleek black hair that appeared uncombed, adding a nerdy look to his pale face.  He wore a gentle gray robe and a few scars from Vita's attack streaked down his face and arms.  

Cassie began to burst into tears and she tackled Mortem.  She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed him tight.  Mortem let out a yelp.

Cassie pulled away from Mortem.  She slapped him out of nowhere.  

OW!  WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?

THAT WAS FOR  KILLING YOURSELF!  Cassie let her reaper voice get loose.

I SAVED YOU!  Mortem rubbed his scarred cheek.

Cassie slapped him again on the other side of his face, I CAN HANDLE MYSELF THANKYOUVERYMUCH!

UNGREATFUL.  YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT VITA CAN DO!

LALLYGAGGING ABOUT EARNING YOUR LOVE?

Mortem bit his lip, AN OH GOD* TOLD ME IN LIMBO THAT SHE WAS USING OUR FUTURE MARRIGE AS A COVERUP.  SHE REALLY JUST WANTS TO KILL ALL REAPERS.

Cassie relaxed, "how did you get here?"

DAD TOOK ME BACK HOME.

"I still don't get how he's your dad, though.  He has a granddaughter, but you're not her father."

EONS AGO, DEATH TOOK IN A LITTLE GIRL NAMED YSABELLE.  SHE WAS STUCK AT AGE SIXTEEN FOR THIRTY-FIVE YEARS.  ABOUT FIFTY-ONE YEARS LATER, DEATH TOOK IN MORT AS AN APPRENTICE.  MORT IS A LONG STORY.  

"Mort?  As in you?"

MORT AS IN MORTIMER.  NOT MORTEM.  EVENTUALLY, MORT AND YSABELLE GOT MARRIED AND HAD A SWEET DAUGHTER NAMED SUSAN.

"Oh."

I CAN'T COUNT HOW LONG LATER, BUT WHEN I CAME, MY MOTHER WAS MURDERED AND MY FATHER ABANDONED ME.  THE ONLY THING I HAD LEFT WAS THIS.  Mortem pulled a veil out.  It glittered with a sapphire tint.  THIS IS WHAT HAS THE POWER TO BRING US BACK HOME.  VITA ORDERED THE AOR** TO TAKE IT.  THE AOR MANAGED TO KILL ME, BUT WHEN DEATH CAME, I CONVINCED HIM TO ADOPT ME.

"That can bring us back home?"  Cassie reached to tap the veil.  Mortem pulled it away.

IT'S OMEGA.  IT CAN EASILY DESTROY HALF OF THE GALAXY.  

"How can it bring us home?"

Mortem stared at the glowing bottle, ONLY MY FATHER HAS THE POWER TO TAP IT INTO THE RIGHT FREQUENCY.

*Oh Gods are small gods.  Part of the "OOOHH GOD!" group.

**Auditors of Reality