Chapter 9

Cassie and Death stared at each other for an awkward minute.  Death dripped with water that Cassie splashed on him to put out the fire.  She put down the water bucket.

Death finally moved out of the room.  Cassie flopped down onto the cotton couch, and she stared at the obsidian chandeliers.  The gems twinkled with a slight shade of navy.  The domed ceiling was all a painting that appeared as earth, with only shades of black and white.  The only other thing different was that the land forms were unusual shapes and at other areas than earth should.

Cassie began to burst into tears.  She felt like her own world was missing,  and all of her family.  She barely remembered the hazel eyes of her mother and the slightly graying hair of her father.

Death stumbled back into the room, wearing a new argos gray robe and an onyx-black cloak.  APOLOGIES FOR THE- INTERESTING ENCOUNTER.

"It's fine,"  Cassie immediately sat up.

Death gave the girl a steaming cup of tea, OKAY.  BACK TO WHAT WE WERE SPEAKING.  YOU SAID THAT MORTEM IS DEAD.  RIGHT? 

Cassie nodded slightly, trying not to burn her tongue with the drink, "Vita stabbed-"

YES, YES.  I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

"You act like you're not worried."

I'M NOT. 

"You should be.  He's your own son!"

Death tapped his fingers against his leg when he settled down next to Cassie on the couch.  The tapping made a TICK! TICK! TICK! noise.  The ticking finally gave a rest, I SELDOM REVIVE PEOPLE.

"Oh."  Cassie placed her tea on the coffee table, "where is he?"

HE'S OFF DOING WHAT HE DOES BEST.  Death picked up Cassie's cup.

"HE'S OFF REAPING ALREADY!?  SHOULDN'T HE BE READING BOOKS OR RELAXING?"

Death went wide-eyed, and he gave Cassie back her cup.  The tea was now ice.  SLEEPING.  I WAS SAYING THAT HE WAS SLEEPING.

Cassie frowned, trying to figure out how the heck the tea turned to ice when Death only touched it, "I apologize."

Death scoffed. 

Cassie gripped her cup, studying the ebony floral patterns that gave beauty to the pearly cup.  When she peered up, Death already left the room.

She sat down, feeling herself sink into the squishy sofa.  She sighed.  A few books were held up against an hourglass with black linings.  It contained no sand.  She picked up the lifetimer to study it.  In bold aurous letter said, DEATH.

Cassie bit her lip.  She picked up the books that fell over to place the lifetimer back where it belonged.  She noticed a photo in the back of the shelf.  She yanked it out.

The photo seemed as if it's been left out in the rain.  The only thing she could notice was a picture of Death.  He seemed so much younger.  Literally.  She noticed an arm was around his small shoulders.  Her eyes followed the arm to its owner.  The head seemed to be ripped off and half of the photo was covered in rain.  Cassie squinted her eyes.  The rain splotches had a tint of apple.  Blood.  Cassie covered her mouth.  Reaper blood is not crimson, but either navy or the colour of oil.  The only thing red and liquid are tears.  

Cassie bit her lip.  She turned the photo around.  The only words written on the back are:

Azreal and his creation. 

Vita had her eyes on her phone for the longest one can remember.  She had the hardest time trying to figure out the point of Shooting games.

Life opened the doors to Vita's office.  Excuse me, but when will you get off of that phone?  

Vita glanced up at her relative, only to look back down to the game.

Vita?

Nothing.

Vita?

No response.

VITA!

Vita's crimson eyes slowly turned Life's direction.  Life took a step back.  Vita placed her phone down to snap her fingers.

Death studied the hourglasses of immortals when he's stressed.  He often checks on the HogFather's lifetimer and the Tooth Fairy's.  

Death was about to leave the room before he heard a SNAP! and a CLUNK!  Death spun around to find Life's lifetimer swing from the shelf, and hit the wall violently on the other side of the room.

Death scooped up the life timer, finding a few cracks in the glass.

DANG.