Chapter 1

The smell of fresh baked bread and spices filtered through the air of the busy street. The buildings of the city stood tall and polished, buffed until they were in pristine condition and shining under the glow of their crimson moon.

Lady Strelitzia could barely hear herself speak over the loud chattering in Mallowmoor's town Square, let alone manage a single thought about the wedding. Her wedding. She ducked beneath two wooden planks workers carried down the path and followed her mother towards the large wishing fountain. When she was young, only knee high, her mother would tell her to toss a coin inside, and the Goddess of destiny would hear her prayers and give her the worthy future most looked forward to.

"Oh my." Her mother grinned from ear to ear when her gaze landed on an open clothing shop. Various fabrics laid before them, which of course came with the occasional noble women since festivities were planned this week. Her lips pursed and she glimpsed at Strelitzia's friend who'd found a comfortable spot at her daughter's side, arms linked. "Aren't you two just inseparable?"

Marnnetta smiled and leaned closer to Strelitzia. "I'm getting married next week as well, and I've heard your wedding is coming soon too. Isn't he Eddy Vanguard? The man who's pockets scrape the floor yet lacks in the handsome department?" She patted the back of her best friend's hand. "Look at it this way, at least you would secure your family's wealth. I, on the other hand, have the best of both worlds. I heard Henton Trevolt is a very scrumptious man."

Strelitzia nodded and smiled as if she actually agreed with her friend. Whether she married Eddy or some pauper off the street wouldn't have mattered much. Her family had never been poor and as long as it was their lineage on the throne, there was nothing to be concerned about. Instead she wanted a wedding to someone she truly loved like in the books she'd read. Sadly, it was her sole responsibility to carry on the family name and produce an heir.

"Scrumptious?" She giggled and gently nudged her friend's shoulder. "You're lucky that you've found someone you consider suitable. I would love to feel that way about Eddy but I'm sure things will work out for the best." She glanced from Marnnetta to her mother. "I almost think she agreed just so she could have an excuse to drag us out shopping."

"Didn't your mother have an arranged marriage with your father?" Marnnetta asked curiously.

"Yes, I did. And I fell in love with him the more time we spent together. Sometimes matchmaking isn't too bad." Strelitzia's mother replied while lifting a folded gown. She brought the pink fabrics over, dangling it right in front of her daughter. "Looks like this will be too short." Lady Charlotte elbowed Strelitzia. "Too short." She repeated before turning back around and shuffling through more dresses.

"Wearing that will get you a child on the first night, like one of those royal consumptions a prince has to do. Do you think your cousin has a child yet?" Marnnetta grinned, slipping on a golden bracelet.

"And here I thought the point was to provide a child." She whispered to Marnnetta, wiggling her brows.

"Bynx? With a child?" Strel shook her head vigorously before picking up a beautiful green dress the same shade of her eyes. "I'm sure we would have heard news by now, right?" At least she hoped. They hadn't been to the castle in years but the streets would be abuzz with gossip if the crown prince had a child.

"What about this one, mother?" The velvety material felt cool between her fingers. If she was going to get sold off to some man she may as well look nice doing it. "I think it compliments my eyes and hair quite nicely." It was a floor length gown with simple embroidery and looked as if it would accentuate her figure.

Her mother nodded, propping her chin against her fisted hand. "I think he'd love that. He's quite smitten by you." Lady Charlotte said, watching as Marnnetta nudged Strelitzia. "Curves and all." She sighed while fingering the folds of the gown, the texture soft to the touch. "I wish I could keep you home with me, but your father would never forgive me."