10. Jealousy

"I'm kind of surprised to see him here again," Jess states the next day, making me look up to notice her staring at Enzo.

Again, he's standing close to the entrance, watching carefully each person entering and leaving the boutique.

Sensing my gaze, he turns his head towards me. His serious eyes soften and he gives me a little smile.

I look away. Clearing my throat, I focus on the clothes in my hands. "Hmm?"

Jess turns her head towards me, raising an eyebrow. "I mean, he's definitely your ex. But why is he still here? Just standing there and not doing anything?"

I let out a little sigh. What do I reply to that?

Oh yeah, my ex's a secret agent. And he's my bodyguard because you see, I'm a woman in danger.

I shrug a shoulder and turn towards her, deciding that there's so harm in telling her a part of the truth. For some reasons, I don't want to lie to her.

"He's my bodyguard," I say calmly.

Her eyes widen. "Holy shit, what?"

"I said, he's—"

"I got it the first time." She rolls her eyes before she gets closer to me, curiosity and excitement crossing her face. "A bodyguard, really? Are you a princess or a queen or some shit?"

She pauses, whistling lowly. "Wouldn't be surprised. I mean, look at your hair—"

"Jess, I'm definitely not a princess," I mutter, remembering then that this is what Enzo likes to call me. Or used to call me. He's not doing it often now, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

She's waiting for me to say more. I shake my head before I continue. "It's... complicated. A long, long story."

"I have all the time in the world."

"You don't," her mother interjects, walking past the both of us and giving Jess a look.

She sighs and turns towards me. "All right then. I'm fine with a bit of mystery." She winks, smiling. "He's hot."

I roll my eyes and ignore her last statement.

Someone enters the boutique. I look up and find Sasha smiling brightly at me before she notices Enzo and starts getting in flirt mode.

I don't know why it annoys me.

Still, I have to make sure she's fine after last time. So I force a smile and wait until she walks away from Enzo and comes to see me.

When she does, she winks at me. "I think he may be interested. You don't mind, do you? Or are you both together? Although I've never seen you with anybody since I know you."

I don't realize I'm clenching my fists and that I take a step closer to her until Jess grabs my arm. Blinking, I shake my head.

What is wrong with me, suddenly? I know Sasha and her tendencies to flirt with anybody and everything. I shouldn't be mad.

Or jealous?

Nope. I'm not.

I ignore what she said and cross my arms. "Are you okay? You know, with what happened last time we saw each other..."

But what happened, actually? She probably doesn't have a clue that a murderer-and-probably-leader-of-a-criminal-organization-who-has-anger-issues was there.

Her smile falters and she purses her lips. "Oh, you mean when you ditched me for some reasons? And left me with that hot guy? Although I wasn't angry about that, he was taken. Married, even. And too serious."