Fired

I walked into the diner and was greeted by a few of my employees, to which I smiled and returned the kind words. I went into the back, the small office that had room for one person and a desk and nothing else. I sat down, dropping my head back tiredly. I knew what I had to do today. I had to fire someone. That was the only thing I had put on my to do list today because I knew it would be a struggle. Ever since Shay died and left her diner to me, I had struggled in dealing with the people who used to be my coworkers. This would be the first time I had to let someone go and it was mainly because I had to make cuts in the budget. I sighed, picking up my phone and dialing a familiar number. The person on the other end picked up halfway through the second ring and I halfheartedly sang, "Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City?"

There was a shuffling before I heard the muffled voice of Tony, Delilah's boyfriend call, "It's your weird LA friend."

I laughed at this and there was a bit more shuffling on the other end before Delilah said, "Hey, Juliet."

"Hey," I groaned, wearing my despair on my sleeve so that she would offer me advice.

"What's wrong?" Delilah asked immediately, as I knew she would.

"I have to fire someone, Lilah. I hate firing people," I frowned, though she could not see my facial expression.

"Who do you have to fire?" She asked curiously, considering she knew everyone who worked for me.

"Fred," I said.

"Ugh, good. He should have been gone years ago," Delilah scoffed.

I laughed a little, "That doesn't make it any easier to do."

"Just think of it this way: you'll be doing the job that Shay always wanted to do, but never had the heart to," Delilah suggested, helping me a bit.

Fred was a truly appalling employee. He was old and grumpy, slow moving, and clumsy. Not only that, but he could never memorize the specials menu. He, however, had been Shay's first hire so she refused to fire him as the years went on and he got lazy and grumpy.

Near the end of Fred's shift, I called him into the back office. He stood across from me and I said, "First of all, I'd like to thank you for the years of service you've dedicated to Shay and her diner-"

Before I could continue, he cut me off, asking, "Hold up, are you firing me?"

I sighed, "We can't afford to keep you on any long-"

"This is bullshit!" He shot up from his seat, stomping out of the office and into the kitchen where other employees were working, "I've worked here longer than you've been alive, and this is the thanks I get?"

I tried to speak, but Jackson beat me to it, "You're firing him? How could you do that?"

"With the budget, we can't afford to-" I tried to explain, but I was interrupted by Riley this time.

"If Fred can't work here, then I won't either," she untied her apron and slammed it on the counter, walking out side by side with Fred. Jackson was quick to follow, all of them shooting me a dirty look. Before I could address the rest of the staff, two more employees waltzed out, shoving aprons and name tags into my hands.

I turned back to the near empty kitchen and sighed heavily. The dining area was nearly empty but so was the kitchen. My chef, Cassidy, and dishwasher, Collin, were the only two who remained.

"We will finish up anyone who has already been seated and then close until we can find someone to replace them," I told Cassidy and Collin.

They nodded and swiftly got back to work, but not before shooting each other worried glances.

I put on an apron and pinned my old name tag to my shirt before beginning to deliver food and take orders from customers. It was a struggle, but the three of us managed to serve the customers and close the diner.

I just had no idea what I was going to do tomorrow, come breakfast rush.