Telling Elliot

The morning after I had reunited with Ashton, I lied in bed, Elliot's arms wrapped around my waist. He was still fast asleep, oblivious to the anxiety coursing through me as he held me in his arms.

I knew that I had to tell Elliot that Ashton was back from tour but I didn't know how to mention it nonchalantly so Elliot wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I pondered this so deeply that I didn't notice Elliot begin to stir. In fact, I didn't realize he was awake until he pressed a soft kiss to the back of my neck. I turned to face him, forcing a small smile onto my lips.

"Have you been up long?" He asked me, eyelids still obviously heavy from just awakening.

I shook my head lightly, letting a lie slip from my tongue, "Not too long."

In reality, I had been awake for at least two hours, just questioning everything. You see, Ashton's reappearance would not have been such a big deal for Elliot and I's relationship except for the fact that I had never intended on having a serious relationship with Elliot. It was always supposed to be a fun fling, and he had known that I was just waiting for Ashton to come back. When we did become more serious, becoming exclusive, saying 'I love you', and eventually moving in together, the thought of going back to Ashton obviously disappeared from my mind. I was simply afraid that Elliot would begin to feel insecure with Ashton back in my life.

Elliot tapped my forehead lightly, "What are you thinking about?"

I hesitated before sitting up, pushing back our blanket. Elliot sat up as well, giving me a concerned look. I took a breath before rambling, "I have to tell you something and you have to promise not to freak out."

He furrowed his eyebrows but nodded, "I promise."

I stood up, facing him, "Ashton's back in town. He showed up at the diner yesterday," I informed him.

He slowly nodded his head, "Did something happen between you two?"

I shook my head immediately, "No, of course not. He asked if I was single, I said no, we talked for a little while and then he drove me home."

Elliot smiled, "Then why would I freak out?"

I shrugged, a little embarrassed, "I don't know, because you and I probably wouldn't have gotten together if he hadn't left?"

I sighed as I stared into my coffee. Ashton had only been gone for a few weeks, but I already missed him despite our near constant texting. Ashton was busy with tour stuff, so my phone sat face down on the table I sat at. I was about to take a sip of my coffee, when I heard my name being called. I turned to look over my shoulder to spot Elliot with a coffee in hand.

"Elliot!" I jumped up from my seat, wrapping my arms around him. He laughed and hugged me back with one hand, the other holding his drink, "How are you? I haven't seen you since you stopped working at Shay's."

Elliot grinned as we both sat down at the table I had previously been occupying by myself. He replied to my question, saying, "I've been alright. The new job is good pay, so I can't really complain."

"Good for you," I smiled, truly happy for my friend.

"Thanks. So what about you?" He inquired, grinning just as wide as I was.

"I've been okay. Shay is getting pretty sick, so I've taken over the diner for the most part," I told him, staying on the topic of work.

He nodded his head, asking, "Are you still seeing Ashton?"

I swallowed hard before shaking my head, "No. We, uh, we decided to take a break while he was on tour."

"I was kind of surprised that you two started dating in the first place," Elliot admitted, hands cupped around his coffee to warm them.

"I was too, honestly, but it just... felt right," I elaborated, mind drifting back to how Ashton and I had been when we were together.

He rubbed the back of his neck, ears reddening slightly before he said, "If I had known then that  you were ready to start dating again, I would have asked you out."

I laughed a little, tilting my head to the side, "Really? You had a thing for me?"

Elliot laughed, nodding, "Big time. I just never asked you out because I didn't want to be insensitive after what happened with Joseph."

Truly, if I hadn't gone out with Ashton, it could have been much longer before I started dating again, by which time my life would have passed me by.

He stood up and pressed a kiss to my lips, "He did leave though," I nodded lightly before he continued, "As long as you're not cheating on me with the guy, then I don't care if you spend time with him."

I watched as he left our bedroom, leaving the door open for me to follow behind him.

I laughed a little once he was absent from the room. I hadn't understood why I had been so worried. Elliot was amazing and he loved me just as much as I did him. Ashton wasn't going to pull us apart.