Happy

I smiled falsely as Ashton came into the diner, ducking back into the kitchen to deliver an order before reluctantly reemerging to greet him.

It had been a few weeks since the night we fought and things were okay between us. At first, things were awkward, as Ashton seemed reluctant to say anything, but quickly any tension was relieved.

It was difficult to see him, without a doubt. I knew he was with Beth and felt guilty anytime I would have a romantic thought for him. I knew I had to respect his relationship like he did with mine and Elliot's, but I couldn't force myself to stop loving him, I didn't know how. It hurt to see him every time, but not once did I wish for him to stop showing up.

It was near the end of the night, Ashton being one of the only customers there, only accompanied by a couple pairs of people and a family of three sat in the corner. I approached, sending him a smile once again, "Hey."

"Hey, how are you?" He asked, fingers tapping against the top of the counter.

"I'm alright," I shrugged. I was alright. I had gotten my own place, started to drive again, and the diner was busier and more profitable than ever, "You?"

He shrugged as well, "Pretty good..." he hesitated eyes connecting with mine, "I wish that we had talked more than we had the last few days."

I nodded my head, sighing, "Yeah, I'm sorry about that. It's just..." I paused, putting my notepad down on the counter before continuing, "You have Beth, and I..."

"Have Elliot?" He finished for me. I had almost forgotten about that lie.

"...Right. Yeah," I bobbed my head, "So, it's kind of natural for us to spend less time together, isn't it?"

"I guess," Ashton agreed, though he seemed no happier about it than I was.

"Does she make you happy?" I asked abruptly, catching Ashton slightly off-guard.

"Yeah, I suppose," he shrugged, "Happier than I was before."

"And she's good to you? She's nice to you?" I inquired

"She is," he replied, looking at me curiously as if he couldn't figure out why I was asking him these things.

"Okay," I bobbed my head as I let out a breath. I cleared my throat, pulling us away from the topic, "You want something to eat?"

When I let my eyes make contact with his again, he stared at me for a few moments like there was a million things he desperately wanted to say but wasn't sure if he should. I almost urged him to do so but I restrained myself.

"Waffles." I turned and walked away, feeling his gaze on my back as I left.